cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Download and update of DAT file causing Rockwell FactoryTalk dual redundant servers to switch

Jump to solution
I have a couple of virtual servers with Windows 2016 Standard operating system. The servers are configured as dual redundant FactoryTalk HMI servers (FT View Site Edition V11.00).

Each morning at approximately 10:02, the servers switch over from ACTIVE to STANDBY, so for example, if server01 is ACTIVE, it switches to STANDBY and server02 which was STANDBY switches to ACTIVE. It happens every morning, even though there are no stored procedures or scheduled tasks to do this on any of the servers.

Some investigation has shown that at this time, McAfee EPo AV (V8.8) downloads and installs its daily DAT file. When this happens, the RNASERVER.EXE on the ACTIVE server starts communicating to all FactoryTalk clients, spikes the bandwidth, loses connection to the clients and switches to the STANDBY server.

Has anyone else seen this happening, and more importantly, how did you stop it from happening?

Whats the connection between the rnaaeserver.exe and the DAT update that send it into a bandwidth spike?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Download and update of DAT file causing Rockwell FactoryTalk dual redundant servers to switch

Jump to solution

Hi

I found the issue. It was CPU and RAM resources on the two servers. Although they met the recommended Rockwell specification, that recommendation does not take into account what the IT department also run on the servers, ie Anti Virus protection and backups.

The specs are now 8 cores with 16Gb RAM with Win Server 2016.

Martin.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: Download and update of DAT file causing Rockwell FactoryTalk dual redundant servers to switch

Jump to solution

Hi @MartinShaw66 

Regarding cluster type environment please check https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB52783

Both the server should have same VSE version. If it is already there then I am expecting due to McScript_inuse.exe invocation during the DAT update time there is a spike happening causing the failover.

You can Follow the article KB66044 and check the status.

If the issue persist the I would suggest to open a SR with us so that we can do further check. 

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, the links you suggest refer to cluster failover. This is not what I am experiencing.

When the DAT updates, RNAAESERVER.EXE somehow gets overloaded which causes a failover of the FactoryTalk application. I think this is a specific issue with the Rockwell software and its reaction to the way McAfee updates its DAT files.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi

I found the issue. It was CPU and RAM resources on the two servers. Although they met the recommended Rockwell specification, that recommendation does not take into account what the IT department also run on the servers, ie Anti Virus protection and backups.

The specs are now 8 cores with 16Gb RAM with Win Server 2016.

Martin.

View solution in original post

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community