cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable OnAccessScan for local action (move/copy/build)

Update 2018-06-21 

After some talk with my IT admin, I find out that it's an option in McAffe Endpoint Security, section "On Access Scan" named "Scan for local copy" 

Request your IT to uncheck it if you got problem with local move. 

---

Hi all, 

I work for a company with McAfee installed.

Everytime I copy/move files locally, especially build source (I'm coding C#), the McAfee OnAccessScan showed up and take all my 80% CPU power. 

So, is there any tweak/setting to disable OnAccessScan for [1] locally copy/move files, and [2] file generation by building source code (Visual Studio)?

Could I config my client myself or do I need to request  IT vendor to config it?

Regards, Luke. 

1 Reply
McAfee Employee johma
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: Disable OnAccessScan for local action (move/copy/build)

HI Luke, 

With ENS you can select the "Let McAfee Decide", also by default file copies between folders will not be scanned ( providing that the files have already been scanned and whitelisted as clean  and have not changed ). However this may not help you as you are creating new executable files so these will be scanned at least on first creation..

If you are using a compiler, you have a couple of options. There is no best practice as any exclusion is a hole in security, but you could either:

1. Add your compiler temp/working directories to be excuded, this should help

2. if you add your "compiler.exe" process name to the "Low Risk Process Policy" then you can choose to not scan on read, write or both.  This will be a little safer as then anything that your compiler process does will not be scanned. but everything else will within the compiler temp directories.. 

Just be sure to scan all your finished files as there is malware that can add it's own source code to projects which could be compiled into your final binaries! 

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support

• Download the new ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) Support Center Extension which simplifies ePO management and provides support resources directly in the console. Learn more about ePO Support Center