Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Biggie
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

Deploying McAfee VSE 8.8 in a standalone "unmanaged" mode "Perpetual license"

Hi All, Ok i'm new to McAfee world. But I'm trying to understand how does VSE report back it's license. When it's installed in unmanged "standalone". And I'm sorry I'm just assuming, based off my experiences with other AV software. But this is my best guess on how it works. Once VSE 8.8 endpoint is installed VSE searches and reports to the mange server. Now because it's unmanged the end point is not pulling any policy or updates down from the manged server. All that would need to be setup direct on the end point. But still reports as a unmanaged endpoint but counting the end point as licensed since the endpoint is visable to the mange server. My question being, is this how it works? of not?  what parts did i get wrong?  Hopefully this makes sense.

6 Replies
McAfee Employee jess_arman
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 7

Re: Deploying McAfee VSE 8.8 in a standalone "unmanaged" mode "Perpetual license&quot

@Biggie When a system is unamanged, it still has a McAfee Agent in order to allow for invocation of locally scheduled tasks, as well as receiving DAT updates from McAfee servers/repositories. Simple explanation; the licensing is validated through the unmanaged Agent + communication with our servers where it is inherently told to receive its updates.

Hopefully this clears things up.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

Biggie
Level 8
Message 3 of 7

Re: Deploying McAfee VSE 8.8 in a standalone "unmanaged" mode "Perpetual license&

So if it's cummunicating to a Mcafee server in the cloud. Loosely reading between the lines of what you wrote "unmanaged Agent + communication with our servers ". How does the VSE endpoint license get counted to my company license pool when the licence renewal rolls around? 

Tags (1)
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 7

Re: Deploying McAfee VSE 8.8 in a standalone "unmanaged" mode "Perpetual license&

@Biggie The finer details of licensing audit would need to be discussed with your Sales Representative/SAM. Support (of which I am a part of, and those that monitor these forums are a part of) does not deal with licensing. However, I believe it shakes out to telemetry information collected via the Agents.
You can have unmanaged systems in your ePO system tree for your own inventory purposes, if desired.

If you don't have a specific contact, but would like to discuss this line of information in detail, Customer Service can get you pointed in the right direction once you call them at 800-937-2237

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

Biggie
Level 8
Message 5 of 7

Re: Deploying in a standalone "unmanaged" mode "Perpetual license&

How would the VSE lic. be counted, if VSE got installed on a computer outside our network but it's unmanged. I guess my point I'm trying to make here is how is the VSE reporting the endpoint and how does it know that the end point should be counted to the company pool if the machine is not on our network or IE a remote user working from home.

Tags (1)
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 7

@Biggie I apologize that I'm unable to speak to that niche detail. I think the best way for you to get that information is to discuss with your Sales Rep or Account Manager.

Was my reply helpful?

McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 7

@Biggie I apologize that I'm unable to speak to that niche detail. I think the best way for you to get that information is to discuss with your Sales Rep or Account Manager.

Was my reply helpful?

Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.