cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create exe to trigger virus sscan

Jump to solution

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this question.

I am trying to write a process that downloads a zip file and extract it, I want to trigger McAfee to scan the file. Without trying to find legitamate malware to put on my PC is there a way to flag an exe I created as maliscious, or some simple exe I can create that will be caught by the AV so I can test?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Create exe to trigger virus sscan

Jump to solution
5 Replies
exbrit
Level 21
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

I don't think it's possible but the process would need to activate mcods.exe which is found in Program Files . McAfee > VirusScan/

However, any file that is imported or downloaded is scanned anyway so why would that be necessary?

exbrit
Level 21
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

By the way, is this for the Consumer product or Enterprise?

Jump to solution

Enterprise,

I am not 100% familiar with how McAfee auto scans but I am pulling email from a mail server loading the attachment into memory and unziping it to disc. I am trying to understand if I need to try to trigger a scan, or if the scan will happen automatically.

I was thinking an easy was to test this would be by using an exe I know the AV will detect and send the exe through the process to see if its automatically detected.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 5 of 6

Jump to solution

Ah OK, then disregard what I posted earlier.  I've moved this to Business > VSE for better handling.

Jump to solution