cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP Still Won't Update

I am still having this problem in XP. Is there an something like UAC to try in XP?

Re: Could not write to INI File

Here s how I resolved the problem:

Stop the McAfee McShield service
Rename the file C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\Common Framework\UpdateHistory.ini to UpdateHistroy.ini.old

Restart the McShield service
Run updates.

The update created a new UpdateHistory.ini file.  After the updates were completed, I checked the differences between the two files and found that the 'bad' file had an extra section:

[BranchSelection]
NumberOfItems=0

Not sure if this was what caused the issue or not, but renaming the file fixed it.

I resolved this by giving the Everyone account full control to the UpdateHistory.INI file .  I also de-selected auto-detect proxy settings in IE since that is what McAfee uses for proxy info.  If auto-detect works in your network, then there should be no problemo.  BTW - in Win7 the UpdateHistory.INI file lives at:  C:\ProgramData\McAfee\Common Framework\.  Hope this helps.

Message was edited by: Carl Gibson on 8/6/10 7:29:25 PM CDT
lshea
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 34 of 35

Auto update fails after upgrading from 8.5 to 8.7 VSE

This topic needs to be moved to a better subject line.

I have had an issue with the updatehistory.ini file on multiple machines when upgrading from VSE 8.5 to 8.7.0i patch 3.

The file permissions on updatehistory.ini are set to read only for the "everyone" group after the new install, which causes the auto update to fail with message "authentication failed."

Manual updates will still work.

Once the permissions on the file are set to full control for the "everyone" group the auto update succeeds.

I found the fix for this on a Web site other than McAfee.

Check the agent installation and re-install if neccessary..

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community