Here s how I resolved the problem:
Stop the McAfee McShield service
Rename the file C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\Common Framework\UpdateHistory.ini to UpdateHistroy.ini.old
Restart the McShield service
The update created a new UpdateHistory.ini file. After the updates were completed, I checked the differences between the two files and found that the 'bad' file had an extra section:
Not sure if this was what caused the issue or not, but renaming the file fixed it.
I resolved this by giving the Everyone account full control to the UpdateHistory.INI file . I also de-selected auto-detect proxy settings in IE since that is what McAfee uses for proxy info. If auto-detect works in your network, then there should be no problemo. BTW - in Win7 the UpdateHistory.INI file lives at: C:\ProgramData\McAfee\Common Framework\. Hope this helps.Message was edited by: Carl Gibson on 8/6/10 7:29:25 PM CDT
This topic needs to be moved to a better subject line.
I have had an issue with the updatehistory.ini file on multiple machines when upgrading from VSE 8.5 to 8.7.0i patch 3.
The file permissions on updatehistory.ini are set to read only for the "everyone" group after the new install, which causes the auto update to fail with message "authentication failed."
Manual updates will still work.
Once the permissions on the file are set to full control for the "everyone" group the auto update succeeds.
I found the fix for this on a Web site other than McAfee.