cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

RE: Could still not write to INI File...

Not exactly.

If Access protection was preventing the ability to write. Then I should not be able to open the file in notepad and modify it, yet I can. To me this eliminates AP as the culprit.
Highlighted

I agree - I was just thinking that if you had not manually forced a policy enforcement after manually setting the protection to allow you access then youm would have a "window of opportunity" where you could possibly modify the file before the next enforcement interval reset it as per the policy....

Jim
Highlighted

I get you now. I did not exploit that window. All protection was enabled while I was able to modify the file.

I dont have workstations handy that have the issue to see if a simple restart will resolve it. I just know I have the problem from remote reporting.
Highlighted

I've just tried a simple reboot and log on as non-priv user and one of my problem workstations has now updated O.K. - so you could be correct about this. Unfortunately the usual user of the W/S has gone home sick so I will need to check with him next wee in case it's soemhow user account specific.

Thanks,

Jim
Highlighted

I believe the reboot will fix the problem as it effectively kills all processes and unlocks all files. Its not an elegant resolution, but so far the best I can come up with. Please keep me informed as to your testing with a reboot. If I am correct I wll be able to pass the information out to remote support agents.
Highlighted

Will do

Jim
Highlighted
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 27 of 35

any new info on this issue?

I experience the same problem
Highlighted
Level 9
Message 28 of 35

Same issue here

Yup having the same issue. I tried modifiying the permissions to the folder like someone else suggested and I stopped getting the could not write to ini file but it still doesnt update the dat.

Starting task: AutoUpdate
Checking update packages from repository NAIHttp.
Initializing update...
Verifying catalog.z.
Extracting catalog.z.
Loading update configuration from: catalog.xml
These updates will be applied if they are in the repository: Engine, DAT, VSCANCEU1000, EXTRADAT1000, BOCVSE__1000, VIRUSCAN8700.
Downloading PkgCatalog.z.
Verifying PkgCatalog.z.
The requested file does not exist

Where can I find the repository to clear it out?
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 29 of 35

RE: Same issue here

disable UAC seems to solve the problem in vista
Level 9
Message 30 of 35

RE: Same issue here

Yep I ran msconfig under tools the disable UAC and rebooted. It is updating now.

Thanks!
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community