Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ahlude
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 3

Command Line Scanner

HI,

If i have a number of md5 hash which i need to scan for my server. How do i go about it using command line scanner version 6.0.6? 

I read and saw the below updates.

v6.0.5 - Includes new McAfee Anti-Malware Engine, version 5700 - Decompression of compressed DAT files by default - MD5 hash of every scanned file displayed in the scan.log

May i know where can i find the scan.log? My servers are running Solaris 11.3

Please kindly advise. Thanks

2 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee sbenedix
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 3

Re: Command Line Scanner

Hi there,

6.0.6 is EOL, obtain a supported version of the command line scanner first of all. Supported versions for CMS and supported OS are listed here: KB52944 (kc.mcafee.com, Solaris 11 seems to be good). That being said, there are a number of "Reporting" switches (refer to the product guide) that can be handed over as parameters to the command line scanner executable, see whether these can accomplish what you are after.

Not sure though if I understood correctly what you mean by "scanning MD5 hashes", the scanner, generally speaking, does scan files only.

Hth.

McAfee Employee jess_arman
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 3

Re: Command Line Scanner

@ahlude You cannot use command-line scanner to hunt down specific MD5 hashes. If you were to use VSE or ENS, then you can define a custom "Potentially Unwanted Program" policy which would allow you to define by file name and scan + detect that way. The only way to scan by MD5 is if it is designated that way in the detection content.

If you have a great enough need for doing this, it's possible that McAfee Labs could provide you with a custom extraDAT with specified md5-based detection drivers that you could load into the scanner as content. This would be the only way to acheive what you describe.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please give kudos or select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator