cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification needed on KB60902

Jump to solution

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB60902

Can someone please clarify the following statement from KB60902:   "McAfee does not extend support to thin clients."

The way I had originally interpreted that statement was that thin client technology (e.g., Wyse Thin Clients, HP Thin Clients) is excluded and not *officially* supported by McAfee.   In other words, McAfee will only support VirusScan Enterprise on Windws XP Embedded systems provided certain criteria are met:

• VSE 8.7 or later is used
  • McAfee 5400 Scan Engine is used
  • McAfee Agent version 4.x is used
  • Systems are not Thin Client technology
  • Use of EWF is disabled

I later spoke with someone and he said that the statement, "McAfee does not extend support to thin clients." was a misinterpretation on my part.  The intent was to say that once the EOL (End of Lifecycle) is reached for VSE 8.7 (i.e., VSE 8.8 or whatever version that will supercede 8.7), McAfee will not be offering an extended support solution to provide assistance for customers wishing to remain on VSE 8.7.  The only alternative for thin client support will be to upgrade to the next revision.

I am having trouble trying to digest that interpretation.  Can someone help me clarify?  There was also mention that Solidcore's S3 Control Embedded application was a better product for use on Thin Clients where the content on the flash drive will remain static.

In addition, I have reviewed the "VSE - XPE Conditional Support Program.pdf" I found online for VSE 8.5 (written 2007), but I haven't come across anything relating to the current VSE 8.7.  Does one for VSE 8.7 exist?  Did support for thin clients cease with VSE 8.7?

Thanks in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Clarification needed on KB60902

Jump to solution

Hi
I have double checked this and can confirm there is indeed no support for thin clients whatsoever.

The above article now states: McAfee does not support thin clients.

While the original text was meant to convey this, the use of the word extend was ambiguous.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Regards

6 Replies
Mal09
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

My understanding of that phrase:

McAfee support cannot assist with problems involving Thin Clients. (ie you're on your own).

Would be nice to get the KB article updated and improved to reflect the true meaning!

Message was edited by: Mal09 on 10/05/10 17:34:06 GMT

Jump to solution

Yes, that's precisely how I interpreted it:  "You're on your own..."

Jump to solution

Hi

The phrase is confusing and I have asked the author to clarify its meaning. As soon as this is done I will post an update on here and edit the article to be transparant.

HTH

Jump to solution

So I did more digging in the Knowledge Base and found more articles written that support my interpretation that Thin Clients are an unsupported platform for use with VSE 8.7.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB51573

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB51111

In KB51573 under the Workstations Windows Operating Systems section and in the Comments column, there is a description that reads, "Support is limited to physical disks, and not thin client installations."

KB51573.png

In KB51111 under the Workstations Operating Systems section in the Operating System column for Microsoft Windows XP Embedded (SP2) the following is displayed for compatability with VSE 8.7, but I think this needs to be updated since KB60902 seems to contradict it.

KB51111.png

Message was edited by: Spartan117 on 5/12/10 10:30:59 AM CDT

Jump to solution

Hi
I have double checked this and can confirm there is indeed no support for thin clients whatsoever.

The above article now states: McAfee does not support thin clients.

While the original text was meant to convey this, the use of the word extend was ambiguous.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Regards

Jump to solution

Thanks for the prompt reply!