cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 2

Cannot start mcconsole.exe , mctray.exe. Mcshield.exe keeps spawning on task tray

Hi

i have install my Win 7 & win xp clients with Mcafee 8.7(8.7.0.570 Wrk, Patch 5)  with Agent  4.5.0.1852

However, some of the computers installed with the product behaves in a questionable manner

1) i can't open mcconsole.exe after clicking on the GUI

2) The Mcshield keeps spawing on the task tray, as shown in the attachment

3) Cannot show the M icon, which supposed to be the mcafee agent

I have put Mcafee Agent Extension  "EPOAGENTMETA.zip" , "VSEPatch5",  VSE870LMLRP5

So the agent should be up to date

In the Epo, i also checked the option "Show the system tray icon with all menu options has been checked"

So i am not sure what went wrong

1 Reply
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: Cannot start mcconsole.exe , mctray.exe. Mcshield.exe keeps spawning on task tray

After an hour search in forum, i found this post

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/39532?tstart=0

https://community.mcafee.com/message/212896

which describe that the license registry key has been zeroed out after applying Patch 5

What i did was export the license key from registry on one of the working machine & import it to those machines with the symptoms

You might need to kill udaterUI.exe first, then activate this again in order to get the Agent icon back to system tray

Regkey is in

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Mcafee\DesktopProtection\LicenseInformation

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community