cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we create exclusions for files with 0 bytes

Is there a way to create a file scanning exclusion for files with 0 bytes. I do not see this option in the a policies for VirusScan Enterprise or Endpoint Security..
3 Replies
McAfee Employee AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: Can we create exclusions for files with 0 bytes

Hi @Winston 

Thank you for posting this query! There is no special method to 0B files when it comes to creating exclusions. You can create exclusions for them the same way you would do for any other file!

May I know if you have run into any issues by doing so?

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

We are presently working on a issue where an Isilon is creating files with 0 bytes which is triggering a malware report from ePolicy Orchestrator. At this time, we do not want to modify the ePO report, as this could stop real issues from reporting. We are aware that we can modify out exclusion policy to exclude the directory - where the files are being created - but again, this will stop other malware problems from being reported. 

We may have now found a solution: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB53708&cat=CORP_VIRUSSCAN_ENTERPRISE&actp=LIS...

Highlighted
McAfee Employee AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 4

Excellent! Glad to hear that. Another means would be to figure out if the naming convention of these 0B files have a pattern that can be matched up using wildcard(s) in place. I hope your issue is resolved.

Once you have confirmed the resolution based on the the KBA you have mentioned, please do mark it by yourself as a resolution as it would help a lot of other readers who may come up with a similar query!

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community