cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't start McShield service.

Hi all,

I have a problem. I just install McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 patch 4, but I can't start McShield service. I get information:

Mcshield.png

Please help me this case!

Thanks,

DK

6 Replies

Re: Can't start McShield service.

Is the McAfee Validation Trust Protection Service started? the McShield service is dependent on that service to be running.

Hi fitchsoccer342,

McAfee Validation Trust Protection Service can't start.Please help me.

Were there any errors during the install of patch 4? Can you check the C:\Windows\TEMP\McAfeelogs directory? there should be a log of when it installed patch 4, just to verify if something did not install properly.

What OS is this? Also, does mfehidk.sys exist within the C:\Windows\System32\drivers directory? I dont think the validation service will start without this driver present.

wwarren
Level 15
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 5 of 7

You're on the right track .

If it turns out that mfehidk.sys is present but not starting, and that the registry value "start" is missing from:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Mfehidk

We would like to know why/how that happens.  I mention it here:

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee

Hi all,

I think, if I have removed the dependency of "McAfee validation trust protection service - mfevtp" as a dependency from "McShield service", then enable McShield service. Please guide me removed the dependency of "McAfee validation trust protection service - mfevtp" as a dependency from "McShield service".

Thanks,

DK

wwarren
Level 15
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 7 of 7

If you remove the dependency you'll have an unsupported product. Not recommended.

Please reply to the earlier questions from :

Were there any errors during the install of patch 4? Can you check the C:\Windows\TEMP\McAfeelogs directory? there should be a log of when it installed patch 4, just to verify if something did not install properly.

What OS is this? Also, does mfehidk.sys exist within the C:\Windows\System32\drivers directory? I dont think the validation service will start without this driver present.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee