cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I exclude .dll files?

Is there any way to exclude .dll files from the "threat target path" of the rule "Prevent common programs from running files from the Temp folder"?

I'm getting around 100 alerts from known ok processes that we require to run out of the temp directory, and we only have about 30 users.

I know I can exlude iexplore.exe from the rule, but then I feel we would be left wide open, as that's where a lot of things originate.

Most alerts are from counters.dat, it would be awsome to be able to create an exception so that target file wouldn't trigger an event.

Thanks for any help .

on 26/03/14 2:41:55 EDT PM
9 Replies
rackroyd
Level 16
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 10

Re: Can I exclude .dll files?

As this is more a point-product configuration question, moving to vse group for better attention.

on 26/03/14 2:42:13 EDT PM

Ty

on 26/03/14 2:42:33 EDT PM
exbrit
Level 21
Message 4 of 10

Headers altered from "exclude .dat files" to "exclude .dll files" for clarity.

OK?

wwarren
Level 15
Message 5 of 10

Sorry, this is not possible with the current Access Protection implementation.

It is a commonly requested PER. Adding your voice to the list would not be a bad thing.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee

Thanks for the help and input.  This is the 1st time in a decade I've used Mcafee suite.  My 30-40 users generated over 500 alerts yesterday .  I will definitely add my voice to the list!

aladdin9
Level 10
Message 7 of 10

pmclachlan, are you using VSE 8.8 with Patch 4 and MA 4.8 Patch 2?  I'm seeing new alerts about counter.dat after I upgraded one test system under IE 10 and Windows 7 x64, and I have always seen alerts when using the Microsoft print to XPS option.  I'll also submit a PER (or vote for your issue if it's public) and I opened a new question about alerts on counter.dat

I am.  As soon as I applied the patches I started getting like 500 alerts a day from 50 users!  I can't imagine what's going on with large networks...

Sorry for my newbness...What is the PER and where do I find it?

Thanks again!

wwarren
Level 15
Message 10 of 10

Article KB60021, How to submit a PER

And welcome

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee