cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CQMGHOST.EXE changing McAfee settings

Jump to solution

Yesterday at 14:29 CET  I started to receive the following event on all my domain cotrollers. It stills continues generating events now.

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CPQMGMT\CQMGHOST\CQMGHOST.EXE is trying to write on HKLM\SYSTEM\CONTROLSET001\SERVICES\MCAFEEFRAMEWORK\ (Access protection rule violated)

I've never seen this behaviour before, and as far as I know I haven't changed any virus scan rule on this servers  nor deployed any kind of VirusScan, HP or system updates.

Is anyone else having this problem?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 6

Re: CQMGHOST.EXE changing McAfee settings

Jump to solution

Hi @Random_user,

Thank you for your response. It makes sense that you are wondering how this would come up suddenly, however, The important thing to note here is this is coming from an Access protection rule. This would mean, the behavior of the process CQMGHOST.EXE  is to be questioned here.

But, I certainly can understand if what you are looking for is to see if other community members have faced this situation. Even if they had, This should be logged as a ticket with HP to investigate as I am curious to know what business this process would have with a McAfee reg key!

I am personally a HP user with VSE installed and I have not seen this yet! I hope this helps!

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

View solution in original post

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi @Random_user,

Thank you for keeping us posted on what fixed it for you! Glad you found it! Kudos for the update 🙂

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

5 Replies
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi @Random_user,

Thank you for your post! This may have to do with how HP software works. Please refer to:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB87659

Was my reply helpful?

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

Jump to solution

I have seen that info before posting, the point is that this never happened on my system, and without making any kind of change, it started to generate events yesterday...

Also HKLM\SYSTEM\CONTROLSET001\SERVICES\MCAFEEFRAMEWORK\  is not posted on that list.

McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi @Random_user,

Thank you for your response. It makes sense that you are wondering how this would come up suddenly, however, The important thing to note here is this is coming from an Access protection rule. This would mean, the behavior of the process CQMGHOST.EXE  is to be questioned here.

But, I certainly can understand if what you are looking for is to see if other community members have faced this situation. Even if they had, This should be logged as a ticket with HP to investigate as I am curious to know what business this process would have with a McAfee reg key!

I am personally a HP user with VSE installed and I have not seen this yet! I hope this helps!

Was my reply helpful?

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

Jump to solution

Mistery solved, one colleague changed yesterday the access protection rules on domain controlers, and that's why event started to notify.

Thanks a lot for your time.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi @Random_user,

Thank you for keeping us posted on what fixed it for you! Glad you found it! Kudos for the update 🙂

Was my reply helpful?

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community