cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought my Computer 2nd Hand but need Grant Number to Update Software so I can Update to Windows 10

Jump to solution

So I bought my computer, a Lenovo T410, online (I think eBay) 2 or 3 years ago. The computer was completely new if I remember right but it also already came with McAfee on it. Now I am wanting to upgrade my Windows 7 to Windows 10 but the current McAfee version I have is not compatible with Windows 10 (version info posted below). From what I have researched, VirusScan Enterprise is generally only given out to companies and you are only able to update the software with a grant number given to that company which I obviously have no access to. Because of this, am I even able to upgrade my McAfee software so that I can keep the anti-virus and upgrade to Windows 10?

McAfee Versioin.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
Level 21
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 7

Re: Bought my Computer 2nd Hand but need Grant Number to Update Software so I can Update to Windows 10

Jump to solution

You bought the computer on eBay so contact the seller to see if they are willing to give you that information.  If not I'm afraid you'll have to uninstall the software and use something else.

Windows 10 does come with it's own antivirus in the shape of Windows Defender - that version includes the A/V element of Microsoft Security Essentials, so you wouldn't be absolutely lacking protection.

Windows Firewall provides limited one-way protection too.

6 Replies
twenden
Level 13
Message 2 of 7

Re: Bought my Computer 2nd Hand but need Grant Number to Update Software so I can Update to Windows 10

Jump to solution

McAfee VirusScan 8.8i only works under Windows 10 with Patch 6 installed. The only way to get this patch is thru a valid grant number. As a end-user you will need to contact the IT personnel at the company where you got this enterprise version of virus Scan from.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

You bought the computer on eBay so contact the seller to see if they are willing to give you that information.  If not I'm afraid you'll have to uninstall the software and use something else.

Windows 10 does come with it's own antivirus in the shape of Windows Defender - that version includes the A/V element of Microsoft Security Essentials, so you wouldn't be absolutely lacking protection.

Windows Firewall provides limited one-way protection too.

Jump to solution

This was what I was afraid of. Thank you for your help

exbrit
Level 21
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

OK. good luck ;-)

Jump to solution

It may have been a license violation to continue using it, anyways. That may have been a corporate computer, and the license would have been tied to the company that originally owned it, or employed the original computer owner.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

you might be interested in this:  or