Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 20

Re: Autoupdate over 2 months old

Hermant.

Ok, i got the windows 7 files, replaced them on my XP machine after stopping the framework service.

I also deleted everything in the common framework\data\0000 file

Restarted the services

ran the update.

I can see the new DAT folder being created, and the 0000 folder, and the avvdat-6489.zip inside of it, along with avvclean.dat, avvnames.dat, gdeltaavv.ini, v2datinstall.mcs, legal.txt, and avvscan.dat

However once those files show up, i see this in the Mcafee console log:

10/4/2011 4:33:01 PM JME-DELL\jmeray Downloading gdeltaavv.ini.

10/4/2011 4:33:03 PM JME-DELL\jmeray Downloading avvdat-6489.zip.

10/4/2011 4:35:52 PM JME-DELL\jmeray Generic script error.

Every time, same issue, with new mcs files or old.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 12 of 20

Hello Jmeray

That worked for me........

Have you tried to run Super DAT & then run Update Now??..

Please try this and let me know.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 13 of 20

Hermant.

Well, since nothing else has worked, i went ahead and downloaded the xDAT per jguenrd and yourself. Ran it, it installed successfully, and I'm now on the Oct 4, 2011 DAT.

I cannot try to AUTOupdate now, since there are no more current DATs out there to download, but as soon as one becomes available I will give it a try and see if the update is successful.

All i can think of is that the autoupdate functionality installs the DAT slightly different than the xDAT does, since the xDAT was successful.

Thanks for your diligence (and everyone for your input). We will see if this fixes it once a new update is available.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 14 of 20

Well, i tried to update DAT today since it had been almost a week.

I get the same error in the log  "Generic Script Error".

It just seems like the downloaded file is corrupted and fails, yet if i download it manually and run the install, it succeeds.

Makes no sense.

But the reality is, my AUTOUPDATE is still not working.

😞

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 15 of 20

Hello ....

Now only the thing i can suggest is...U try to reinstall OR try Installing Latest VSE 8.8

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 16 of 20

It may come to that.  However, i'm finding the download & install of the xdat to be relatively painless.

I might simply set a reminder to manually update the DAT weekly.

If I have time in the coming weeks, i may try an install-over and see if it works.

If not, then i'll do an uninstall/reinstall.

Thanks again for your efforts.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 17 of 20

I have a similar issue on 2 stations.  VSE 8.8 with SP1 installed and they get the dreaded generic script error.  I've tried manually updating (with and without the /f) using a superdat and it works fine.  After that it then returns to the generic script error and won't update until I download another superdat (which works fine again).  I've tried the steps listed as well as a full uninstall and reinstall without success.  After an uninstall are there folders or registry entries left behind I need to delete to remedy this?  It's 2 stations but I'm concerned this could affect all of our units and become a much larger issue.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 18 of 20

Another suggestion is try downloading the XDAT (DAT only) or SuperDAT (DAT and engine) file from McAfee's web site (http://www.mcafee.com/apps/downloads/security-updates/security-updates.aspx) and run it with the /f parameter (/f forces install over existing).

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 19 of 20

Jguenrdc

Definitely a good idea.

However, i'm going to try and see if I can get the "autoupdate" fixed so i dont have to worry about manual updates of the DAT.

But if there is no light at the end of this tunnel... I'll consider that as my next option.

THanks!

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 20 of 20

There have been a few times in the past where autoupdate didn't work, and after using the SuperDAT, autoupdate worked again.  However, I have no idea if the error I was experiencing is the same error as you are seeing.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community