cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoUpdate not working on Windows 2008 R2 (no EPO)

We are running Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 on a closed network and cannot get Enterprise 8.7.0i Patch 2 to use our internal AutoUpdate site.  On our main network we have Enterprise 8.5.0i running on Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Vista and we have configured AutoUpdate to point to an internal FTP site where we dump the update files.  The FTP site is running on a Windows 2003 web server and uses Anonymous authentication.

On the new network running Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 we setup a web/ftp server to host the AutoUpdate site and configured it to use a domain account.  When then configured 8.7.0i to use an FTP site pointing to that server.  When we try to run AutoUpdate, it gives the following 3 lines in the log:

Starting task: AutoUpdate

Unable to find a valid repository

Update process failed

We tried connecting to the FTP site from the command line and that works fine.  We can then run an ls and see all of the files in the directory so ti does not appear to be an access issue.

We then created a web Virtual Directory pointing to the same folder that FTP site is pointed to and configured 8.7.0i to use an HTTP site pointing to that server.  When we run AutoUpdate, it gives the following lines in the log file:

Starting task: AutoUpdate

Checking update packages from repository <repository name>

Initializing update...

Verifying catalog.z

Extracting catalog.z

Loading update configuration from: catalog.xml

These updates will be applied if they are in the repository: Engine, DAT, VSCANCEU1000, EXTRADAT1000, BOCVSE_1000, VIRUSCAN8700

Downloading PkgCatalog.z

Verifying PkgCatalog.z

Extracting PkgCatalog.z

Loading update configuration from: PkgCatalog.xml

Verifying V2engdet.mcs

Downloading V2engdet.mcs

Error occurred while downloading C:\ProgramData\McAfee\Common Framework\Current\VSCANENG1000\PkgCatalog.z

Downloading PkgCatalog.z

Verifying PkgCatalog.z

Extracting PkgCatalog.z

Loading update configuration from: PkgCatalog.xml

Verifying V2engdet.mcs

Downloading V2engdet.mcs

Error occurred while downloading C:\ProgramData\McAfee\Common Framework\Current\VSCANENG1000\PkgCatalog.z

Updates were not applied because packages were not in the repository: Engine, DAT, VSCANCEU1000, EXTRADAT1000, BOCVSE_1000, VIRUSCAN8700

The requested file does not exist

Unable to find a valid repository

The files in the AutoUpdate folder are the same as the one on the network that it works fine on.

13 Replies

Re: AutoUpdate not working on Windows 2008 R2 (no EPO)

Hi,

VSE 8.5 isn't supported on W2008 R2 any CMA version prior than CMA 4.0 P3 (4.0.0.1494) are not supported as well

The only version supported in your environement is VSE 8.7 P2 an CMA 4.0 P3 and CMA 4.5

Cheers

Davide

Message was edited by: Davide Fumagalli on 11/11/09 10:16 AM

Are you referring to the Common Management Agent?  Is that something that gets installed with the client?  How do I determine which version?

VSE gets installed with a standalone agent. The default version of the agent installed with VSE 8.7P2 Repost is the 4.0.1494 Framework. You can obtain the latest VSE repost package that has patch 2 rolled into it from the grant download support site. This will provide support for VSE on Windows 2K8 along with the supported McAfee Agent (standalone).

KB60468  - Explains the support for WIN2K8SP2

Also, see article KB66791 for upgrading to the 5400 Engine on WIN2K8

Message was edited by: Rsteven1 on 11/11/09 4:19 PM

Message was edited by: Rsteven1 on 11/11/09 4:22 PM

Thanks for the reply Rsteven1.  Love the avatar...I am from New Orleans and am a life long die hard Saints fan.

We are already running the repost of Patch 2 and have yet been able to make the AutoUpdate to work.

Hi,

try this:

1. uninstall agent CSmiley Tonguerogram files/mcafee/common framework/frminst.exe /forceuninstall via command prompt the check if that folder is empty (if few files are still in there and you cannot delete them because are in use just reboot pc the delete them manually)

2. download McAfee agent 4.5 from McAfee download section https://secure.nai.com/apps/downloads/my_products/login.asp?region=uk&segment=small

3. unzip it then run installer MFEagent.msi

4. check if McAfee update web sites are reachable from your pc ftp.nai.com/commonupdater and http://update.nai.com/Products/commonupdater

5 run update

6 set your own repository in VSE repository list, set proxy if any

7 run update

Cheers

Davide

I will give that a try but I won't be able to test the connectivity to the McAfee sites because this environment does not have connectivity to the Internet.

If no Internet connection is available you will not be able to update to our sites via HTTP or FTP. Please use the "Mirror Task". This is described in the product guide for VSE.

WHO DAT!!!!

We cannot get an Internet connected machine to AutoUpdate or Mirror to the NAI sites...but I can browse to them via a web browser.  The corporate firewall is likely the culprit and we have no control or influence over that.

On a another note though...on the disconnected network we tried the Local folder method and the UNC method both pointing to the same folder we were using for FTP and HTTP and the update worked so it does not appear to be because we are missing some files. Bizarre behavior.  Any ideas?

Geaux Saints!

sgrimmel
Level 11
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 10 of 14

Hi

WHat version of the Agent are you on?

Have you looked at KB53033 ?

KnowledgeBase:            https://mysupport.mcafee.com and select Search the KnowledgeBase (KB)

HTH

on 11/18/09 3:55 AM