cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
diwi
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 10

AutoUpdate fails with VirusScan 8.8 Patch 11 on Windows 10 v1803 / Windows 2016 v1607

Jump to solution

Hello everybody,

I have a strange behaviour with VirusScan 8.8 Patch 11 both on Windows 10 v1803 and Windows 2016 v1607 using AutoUpdate task in combination with standard repositories ...

NAIHttp and NAIFtp

In this case no ePO-Server is used. As long as I am logged in on both systems, the AutoUpdate tasks runs fine, I can even lock the screen.

As soon as I log out from those systems, the AutoUpdate task fails with the following error ...

26/10/2018 12:10:01 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Starting task: AutoUpdate
26/10/2018 12:11:57 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Unable to find a valid repository.
26/10/2018 12:11:57 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Update process failed.

I can't find the AutoUpdate task in Task Scheduler of both systems to enable ...

'Run whether user is logged on or not'

How can i solve this problem?

Best regards.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
diwi
Level 10
Message 7 of 10

Re: AutoUpdate fails with VirusScan 8.8 Patch 11 on Windows 10 v1803 / Windows 2016 v1607

Jump to solution

The logs revealed problems detecting the proxy, so the update failed. After re-configuring the Proxy Settings of the AutoUpdate task to ...

Manually configure the proxy settings (instead of Use Internet Explorer proxy settings), the AutoUpdate task ran successfully, despite being completely logged off from the system.

The same proxy is configured in Internet Explorer, but that seems to work only, if someone is logged on.

Tomorrow I will check, if the upcoming DAT-signatures are downloaded and if VirusScan is up-to-date.

How can I see or check, if debugging for MA is activated with maconfig?

diwi
Level 10
Message 10 of 10

Re: AutoUpdate fails with VirusScan 8.8 Patch 11 on Windows 10 v1803 / Windows 2016 v1607

Jump to solution

I can successfully confirm that selecting 'Manually configure the proxy settings' instead of selecting 'Use Internet Explorer proxy settings' in this case works on both OS mentioned in the first posting, when AutoUpdate runs during night hours without someone being logged-on to the system.

The NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM account does not work selecting 'User Internet Explorer settings', despite being exactly the same proxy-entry used in Proxy Settings of 'Edit AutoUpdate Repository List' under 'Manually configure the proxy settings'.

Strange!

9 Replies
McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 10

Jump to solution

Hi @diwi 

If you open the VSE console and right click into the properties for your AutoUpdate task under "Schedule Settings" you have the option to add User Account settings for this task. You might want to check this configuration out.

In the meantime I've set up a test machine to mimic your enviornment (based on this description) and I will check on Monday to see if the AutoUpdate task ran successfully or not. I'll report back with my results on Monday! In the meantime take a look at the mentioned settings.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
diwi
Level 10
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

Hello chealey,

I have already done that before and instead of NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM the user <Computername>\Admin creates the same error messages, as long as nobody is logged on. Same behaviour on Windows 10 v1803 and Windows 2016 v1607.

If a user is logged on to each system and the system is just locked, the AutoUpdate task works and it makes no difference, whether you use NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM or another administrator created.

Please be adviced that both systems are not part of a domain, they are only WORKGROUP.

Regards

McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 10

Jump to solution

Have you tried leaving the user details blank as this is the default setting. My AutoUpdate tasks were run over the weekend, despite being logged off. I also didn't add the system into the domain.

If the task still doesn't run when the user details are left blank, please enable McAfee Agent debug logging, reproduce the issue and raise a case along with a MER file for our further investigation.

How to set debug logging?
https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB82170

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
Highlighted
diwi
Level 10
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution

Hello chealey,

thanks for reproducing my environment. First, be informed that Patch 12 is installed now without any improvement to the problem I have.

The user details are blank ...

User, Domain, Password (blank now)

In default settings, the Password field is filled, whether it makes sense or not!

I have enabled debugging with ...

maconfig -enforce -loglevel 2

Was this, what you requested? I rescheduled the task to run in a couple of minutes, so debug logs should be available by then as well.

McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

Great, yes please gather the logs with our MER tool after reproducing the issue and raise a case with us for the point product McAfee Agent. Upload the MER and feel free to mention this Community Post so the agent who will be able to assist you, can see what we've discussed.

Was my reply helpful?
diwi
Level 10
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

The logs revealed problems detecting the proxy, so the update failed. After re-configuring the Proxy Settings of the AutoUpdate task to ...

Manually configure the proxy settings (instead of Use Internet Explorer proxy settings), the AutoUpdate task ran successfully, despite being completely logged off from the system.

The same proxy is configured in Internet Explorer, but that seems to work only, if someone is logged on.

Tomorrow I will check, if the upcoming DAT-signatures are downloaded and if VirusScan is up-to-date.

How can I see or check, if debugging for MA is activated with maconfig?

diwi
Level 10
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

And what is the default for MA logging? Info, Disabled?

McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution

I am glad to hear the logs helped you identify the issue! Please do let us know if the issue is resolved tomorrow :-)

The default setting is info.

Was my reply helpful?
diwi
Level 10
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution

I can successfully confirm that selecting 'Manually configure the proxy settings' instead of selecting 'Use Internet Explorer proxy settings' in this case works on both OS mentioned in the first posting, when AutoUpdate runs during night hours without someone being logged-on to the system.

The NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM account does not work selecting 'User Internet Explorer settings', despite being exactly the same proxy-entry used in Proxy Settings of 'Edit AutoUpdate Repository List' under 'Manually configure the proxy settings'.

Strange!

Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.