Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 22

RE: After Patch 2 getting OAS faiulres

In the McAfee KB article it said if update to 5400 engine will take care of the McShield crash issue. I downloaded the 5400 egine file and applied. The superdat.log said the update was successful but the engine build number is still 5301, for both the 32bit and 64bit engine. Anyone has the same issue?
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 12 of 22

the 64-version of the engine can only be updated via ePo.
as always, restart the machines after that
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 13 of 22

I built a package with P1 + 5400 engine. Upon installation users can opt out of the spyware installation part. And I have users manually install P2.

On XP and Server 2008 I have seen the following: on *some* (maybe half?) the pcs, the first time they install 8.7 + p1, then separately install p2, then reboot, mcshield crashes all the time. Again, only on SOME of the pcs.

THEN if we uninstall and repeat the process (install 8.7+p1 and then p2) all is well. Mcshield does not crash. There should be no cookie scanning as I did not install the spyware module.

Here's a typical instance

Exception in McShield.Exe!
Exception details follow :
VSCORE.14.1.0.499
Exception Code : 0X00000000C0000005
Exception Address : 0X0000000066241768
Exception Parameters : 2
Param 1 = 0X0000000000000001
Param 2 = 0XFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

More information :
ScanRequest : NTName is \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe.

--------
On a different PC

Exception in McShield.Exe!
Exception details follow :
VSCORE.14.1.0.499
Exception Code : 0X00000000C0000005
Exception Address : 0X0000000066241768
Exception Parameters : 2
Param 1 = 0X0000000000000001
Param 2 = 0XFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

More information :
ScanRequest : NTName is \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\wscavexe.exe.
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 14 of 22

Correction: I saw the problems on Vista + Server 2008R2 (on half the pcs in my small sample) and not on an XP machine.
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 15 of 22

I had to register just to send thanks!

I talked to support about this problem and got nowhere. I came to this forum and BOOM, people are having the same issue. Thank you so much for the fix guys, I'll let you know how the disabled cookie scanning works out.

Support suggested rebooting (I already had done so), trying different RAM in the machine (even though this was happening to 4 different machines?!), and uninstalling/reinstalling (no dice).
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 16 of 22

if you have 8.7i p2 + agent 4.5, look at this:

ERROR: McTray.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close (when McAfee Agent 4.5.0 and VirusScan 8.7i with Patch 2 are installed on the same system)

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB67118 KB67118
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 17 of 22

RE: if you have 8.7i p2 + agent 4.5, look at this:

I've been running a solid week, with no errors, with the cookie scanning disabled.
wwarren
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 18 of 22

Re: RE: After Patch 2 getting OAS faiulres

Hi Folks,

If you are encountering the issue we know about - you do not have to disable cookie scanning.

You only need to upgrade to the 5400 engine. Since this update is only available at the moment if you grab it manually, be sure to retrieve the ePO version of the update package - the SuperDAT will only work for 32-bit systems (it does not contain the necessary binaries to update 64-bit), ePO version will update 32-bit and 64-bit.

If you have already used the SuperDAT on a 64-bit system, then only the 32 bit engine gets updated. You'll still need to use the ePO version, to either let the Agent run the update or to extract the files yourself for manually updating the 64-bit engine.

If this does not resolve the issue of McShield crashing when scanning cookies, then you are experiencing a different problem which we are not aware of (or something described above was missed). Working with Support at that time to investigate the cause would be prudent.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 19 of 22

If this is a known issue why was I never told by support to upgrade to engine 5400?  I was told to re-install VSE 8.7i, install new sticks of RAM (this blew my mind), exclude PUPs, and disable On-Access protection.  If tech support has a case with a Mcshield.exe crash on OAS, they should first check the engine version, correct?  This must have just become a known issue because a month ago there was no answer to this problem from Gold Support.

wwarren
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 20 of 22

>install new sticks of RAM (this blew my mind)

I know you're being serious but I do get a chuckle out of what support people recommend to customers, and I say that with reference to any organization with a support offering - I've had to be on the line to various support personnel too and have to shake my head sometimes at what I get asked to do. My advice: don't be afraid to challenge a course of action if it doesn't make sense; our hope is that a reasonable effort can be made in the course of troubleshooting to obtain information about the reported issue/behavior, and ideally to find a solution. I'm sure the technician's methods would've eventually lead to this being the issue - granted, it's nice when things can be recognized, and solved quickly.

I've only recently joined these forums (if that wasn't obvious to everyone), other colleagues have too, and our goal is to add value and to help encourage this online community to thrive. It looks like that's working so far...

Finding the right information can be a frustrating task - a sore point we're quite familiar with ourselves. This particular issue, for example, was documented in the online version of the Patch release notes when the Patch released. But it was either not read, or not understood, even by internal technicians - so we have to assume it always takes a bit of time for knowledge to disseminate when it's available. These forums should help with that in future, and reduce that frustration.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community