cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Adobe Reader X Protected Mode Not Compatible with VSE 8.7?

Jump to solution

I just downloaded and installed Adobe Reader X to my PC and was keen on the new Protected Mode feature that comes with it. After installing it and launching Reader X, I get a message that Adobe Reader cannot open in Protected Mode because of my system's configuration. From Adobe's web site (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/860/cpsid_86063.html), it indicates VirusScan could cause Reader X to not open in Protected Mode.

I did a quick test by disabling Buffer Overflow Protection in VSE 8.7 and confirmed Adobe opened and I'll guess it was running in Protected Mode. Re-enabled Buffer Overflow Protection and Reader X would display the prompt.

While I am assuming I could add Adobe Reader X's process to the Buffer Overflow Protection exclusion list, is this a recommended practice given Adobe Reader's numerous vulnerability issues and/or is McAfee working on something to correct this issue?

Thanks,

Ed

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
aladdin9
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 14 of 17

Re: Adobe Reader X Protected Mode Not Compatible with VSE 8.7?

Jump to solution

Adobe 10.0.1 released today now supports VSE 8.7 per the updated cpsid_86063 and the release notes Acrobat_Reader_ReleaseNote_10.0.1.pdf  see page 5 Bug Fix "2791093 Reader is now compatible with McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise 8.7.0i when Protected Mode is enabled." 

Follow up question does anyone have VSE 8.8 installed yet and does Adobe 10.0.1 work with protected mode?

16 Replies
Unblack
Level 10
Message 2 of 17

Jump to solution

Same here.

Windows 7 32bit ; VSE 8.7i SP4

dyilmaz
Level 9
Message 3 of 17

Jump to solution

I would say it depends, have not read anything about the protected mode yet but in that case the decision is between the Protected Mode or VSE BO. I guess that this Mode will make BO Redundant. Maybe someone can confirm or you have a read of the Protected Mode Feature.

Jump to solution

I have not read how Protected Mode in Adobe Reader and do not know what the Advantages/Disadvantages are between using BOP or Protected Mode. Was kinda hoping that someone with greater technical insight (McAfee Tech Support?) may know which is better and why. Or maybe there is a way to get both running at the same time?

mjmurra
Level 12
Message 5 of 17

Jump to solution
Unblack
Level 10
Message 6 of 17

Jump to solution

This Buffer overflow exclusion does not work on my system.

If i disable BOP the Reader works correctly.

Nachricht geändert durch Unblack on 23.11.10 02:54:25 CST

Jump to solution

If you are running VSE 8.7, you'll need hotfix 613017 for the acrord32.exe buffer overflow exclusion to be effective and allow protected mode to work

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB70257

D-Fens
Level 7
Message 8 of 17

Jump to solution

great, and this hotfix is not available for download in this kb article. amazing!

McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 17

Jump to solution

We only post hotfixes to a KB article if that particular issue is "noisy" and we're confident in the hotfix.

The expected process is for customers to contact Support to obtain any given hotfix for VSE; posting them to the KB is the exception.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee
korax
Level 7
Message 10 of 17

Jump to solution

Will there be an update to mcafee and/or adobe to solve this problem without installing this hotfix and adding the acrobat process to the exclusion list?

Kind regards

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community