cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Hash value in VSE

Jump to solution

I am using VSE and I am unable to add hash value to block under Access Protection, any help on this topic would be really appreciated.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 9

Re: Adding Hash value in VSE

Jump to solution

Hi @summaji 

Good question! I am afraid VSE does not let us use Hash values for blocking under Access protection. This is supported only by ENS (Endpoint Security). Kindly please upgrade to Endpoint Security to achieve the same.

I sincerely hope this helps.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

View solution in original post

McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 9

Jump to solution

Hi @summaji 

Thank you for your quick response. This is an excellent question. We will need to consider 2 scenarios here.

Scenario 1: Stand alone Installation

You can download the latest Endpoint Security Stand alone package using your Grant# and email address from here.

You can directly run this package on top of existing Virus Scan Enterprise. VSE will automatically be uninstalled and ENS will be installed. A reboot will be required to complete the process eventually but not immediately.

Scenario 2: On premise ePO managed Deployment

This requires some serious effort from our end to and decide the deployment plan. We can use Endpoint Migration utility available via ePO and this guide should help you with the process.

This matters only if you wish to perform migration of policies from VSE to ENS where the above document explains the changes you will encounter if you do so.

Otherwise, A regular deployment task should do with ENS package selected. 

And of course, if you come across any challenges with the migration, please do not hesitate to contact us and we are happy to be of any help!

I sincerely hope this information was helpful.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

8 Replies
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 9

Jump to solution

Hi @summaji 

Good question! I am afraid VSE does not let us use Hash values for blocking under Access protection. This is supported only by ENS (Endpoint Security). Kindly please upgrade to Endpoint Security to achieve the same.

I sincerely hope this helps.

Was my reply helpful?

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

Jump to solution

@AdithyanT , thanks for the swift response. How does the upgrade work? can I just upgrade the VSE to ENS just like that or do I have to uninstall the VSE and install the ENS? 

I will open a support ticket if this is not the right place for all these questions.

McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 9

Jump to solution

Hi @summaji 

Thank you for your quick response. This is an excellent question. We will need to consider 2 scenarios here.

Scenario 1: Stand alone Installation

You can download the latest Endpoint Security Stand alone package using your Grant# and email address from here.

You can directly run this package on top of existing Virus Scan Enterprise. VSE will automatically be uninstalled and ENS will be installed. A reboot will be required to complete the process eventually but not immediately.

Scenario 2: On premise ePO managed Deployment

This requires some serious effort from our end to and decide the deployment plan. We can use Endpoint Migration utility available via ePO and this guide should help you with the process.

This matters only if you wish to perform migration of policies from VSE to ENS where the above document explains the changes you will encounter if you do so.

Otherwise, A regular deployment task should do with ENS package selected. 

And of course, if you come across any challenges with the migration, please do not hesitate to contact us and we are happy to be of any help!

I sincerely hope this information was helpful.

Was my reply helpful?

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

Jump to solution

@AdithyanT that is all I needed, I will facilitate the upgrade. Thanks to all your effort in helping the community !

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 9

Jump to solution

Hi @summaji 

Thank you for marking the solution which is very helpful for other community members with the same problem. Very glad to be of assistance!

Was my reply helpful?

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
SergeM
Level 9
Message 7 of 9

Jump to solution

Hello,

@AdithyanT wrote:

I am afraid VSE does not let us use Hash values for blocking under Access protection. This is supported only by ENS (Endpoint Security).

I am trying to achieve a similar result, however, ENS10 is not the solution as I need to do this using VSE for Storage (for NetApp)...

Can you confirm that this is not possible using VSESTOR either ?

Thank you

Serge

McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 9

Jump to solution

Hi @SergeM 

Thank you for your post. I am afraid I am not aware of the working of VSES. You can post this as a separate query/post and see if any expert on that product can confirm this for you. I will also check with my peers on the same and get back to you in case I have an answer for this.

Was my reply helpful?

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 9

Jump to solution

VSES is essentially just an add-on for VSE. It uses the VSE functions to execute the scans.

As my colleague mentioned, you can't add  a hash to VSE AP rules. This is therefore also valid for VSES.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community