cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

100% CPU ODS after upgrade to VSE 8.8P6

When I do an ODS with VSE8.8P4 the process takes only 100%CPU of 1 logical processor -> I have 4 logical proc, so in total the process takes 25%.

After upgrade to VSE8.8P6 the process takes all the CPU of all the logical processors.

Is this a normal behavior and can this affect my other running processes ?

2 Replies

Re: 100% CPU ODS after upgrade to VSE 8.8P6

Hi,

I think this is normal.

The number of threads per CPU did change with each patch.

See here:

Re: 100% CPU ODS after upgrade to VSE 8.8P6

Hi,

we found the same issue if you look at the progress of the ODS and see what files are causing the high CPU you may find this is compress files, below is a SNS from McAfee that explains this better.

Also are you running the TIE module as this was adding to the CPU overhead

VirusScan Enterprise (VSE) 8.8 Patch 5 has adjusted how the ODS performance tab setting "System Utilization" works.

• At "Low" we use 1 thread per CPU up to 8, even if there are more CPUs available.
    • At "Below Normal" we use 1 thread per CPU up to 12, even if there are more CPUs available.
    • At "Normal" we use 1 thread per CPU up to 16, even if there are more CPUs available.
NOTE: Most environments will not need to raise the CPU count because the specified number of threads will be more than adequate to complete a scan in a timely manner.

For additional information, see:

For more resources, visit the ServicePortal and search for related content. Also, visit the McAfee VSE Community at: https://community.mcafee.com/community/business/system/vse.

SNS ProTips help you maximize your protection with troubleshooting, best practices, how-to tips, and links to Knowledge Center resources. To unsubscribe from ProTips or change your SNS settings, visit the SNS Subscription Center.