cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Word 2013 suddenly becomes Read-Only

How do I stop word attachments from opening as "Read-Only". Support groups said MacaFee cause.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
McAfee Employee

Re: Word 2013 suddenly becomes Read-Only

Hi Brainfood.

Which McAfee product and version have you installed? I'd like to move your thread to the appropriate space so we can get you some help.

Additionally, if you could go ahead and tell us the operating system you're running, and if the docs were always read only? Or did they become read only while you were editing them? Where did the docs originate from? Email or did you create them?

I think these details should be most helpful.

Thanks!!

Somer L. Pyron
Knowledge Analyst
ServicePortal: support.mcafee.com
Web: www.mcafee.com
0 Kudos
Hayton
Level 17

"Word attachments" implies Word documents arriving by email, possibly via Outlook.

"Read-only" is actually Protected View and this is by design. Microsoft introduced this as a security measure in Office 2010 and carried it over into Office 2013.

It's easy enough to change a setting in Word to ensure that documents no longer open in Protected View : see the illustration in the article below, which explains it all.

Office 2013 - Disable Opening Attachments in Read Only / Protected View

catdaddy
Level 20

Appreciate that Hayton... It never dawned on me.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
k3tg
Level 14

Hi Brainfood 4242,

Please try running the MVT scan    http://mvt.mcafee.com which scans your computer for any McAfee related issues and should there be any it will attempt to fix them for you. Please post the version numbers of your software and the computer os and browser information which will be helpful in getting you some help as well.

The information requested from above will be helpful if we need to get Technical Support involved.

Tom K3TG

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

@ brainfood4242,

Please provide the information requested by (Somer) so as she can expedite, and properly afford you assistance. She is most knowledgeable in regards to all McAfee issues.

I might add that K3TG,s suggestions are additionally helfpul, however (Somer,s) knowledge of such such,"Dwarf,s" My knowledge,and and all here-in concerned.

All the Very Best,

Regards,

Catdaddy

McAfee Volunteer Moderator 1

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos