cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
burnby
Level 7

Welcome page links : LinkedIn & YouTube blocked by SiteAdvisor

Not necessarily an interface problem but something I haven't seen happen before. In the same section of external links on https://community.mcafee.com/welcome there are two, to LinkedIn and YouTube, which throw up a blocking page from SiteAdvisor which I haven't seen before.

McAfee SiteAdvisor LIVE protection alert - Safety for the real-time web

New SiteAdvisor blocking page.PNG

If this is a blatant marketing ploy to pressure people to upgrade to SiteAdvisor Live then it's both unnecessary and intrusive.

I also wonder about that bit that says McAfee "only tests links posted by .. SiteAdvisor Live partners". That implies other links aren't tested, which would seem to make the product massively untrustworthy.

One for the SiteAdvisor section, probably.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
catdaddy
Level 20

Re: Welcome page links : LinkedIn & YouTube blocked by SiteAdvisor

Yes I have seen this before, and when viewing a Site report, it did as expected.Yet then again, I have (Site Advisor Live) through my MTP Suite.

Edited; What I meant to say is...After seeing that Prompt. I did a "Site Review" to determine if it was working properly, and it was.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
Hayton
Level 17

Odd. If you have SiteAdvisor Live installed then you shouldn't get the Upgrade Now nag.

I only have SiteAdvisor Standard/Basic/Free/whatever so I'm not surprised to be targeted as an upgrade mark. It's the assertion that not all sites are tested that makes this questionable. If they're saying that only a subset of sites carry a reliable or accurate rating then it undermines the SiteAdvisor brand and makes it less attractive when compared to the alternatives (and never forget, there are alternative products that claim to protect you against risky sites).

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

I might add, that prompt displays only when I click on a (Link) inserted from someone else? If that makes any sense?  And in some cases, not all inserted links.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
Hayton
Level 17

No, it doesn't make sense. There's something new in all of this.

That message says "The site you just visited copied this link from a McAfee SiteAdvisor Live partner". Quite what that means in the context of clicking a link on a Community page that's meant to go to the McAfee page on LinkedIn I can't figure out.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

I didn,t think it did either...And if (You) can,t figure it out...I,m not gonna even attempt to

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Last thread was meant to be a "Compliment" of course. Sometimes (Raw) text can get "Lost in translation"

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Add it as an agenda item for DK tomorrow mate. Oh happy birthday

0 Kudos