cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fjfc87
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 28

How to configure a L2TP/IPSEC VPN with McAfee UTM Firewall SG565?

Please help me!!! I ready configure a UTM with a L2TP/IPSEC VPN Server and create a user to access it, but when i trying to connect to my VPN the connection fails. I'm stressful, I don't can connect me, I don't know what's happening I trying connect with the native cliente of Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Windows XP and Seven.

27 Replies
rcamm
Level 13
Message 2 of 28

Re: How to configure a L2TP/IPSEC VPN with McAfee UTM Firewall SG565?

Unfortuantly the change to get this working for Microsoft and possible Apple clientes did not make it into 4.0.6.

What is working is the UTM device as a L2TP client talking to a UTM L2TP server.

I am hoping this change for Microsoft cleints gets into 4.0.7, but if it too big a change, it will be held off to ensure general IPSec stability.

Message was edited by: Ross Camm on 1/24/10 11:27:15 PM GMT+10:00
fjfc87
Level 7
Message 3 of 28

Ok, thanks you, but then how could connect to my vpn. I need a specific client or that I do to connect to my vpn or will need install a previous firmware.

rcamm
Level 13
Message 4 of 28

If you are looking at connecting a single PC in a road warrior type scenario then PPTP would be best as the standard Windows PPTP VPN client will work well with this.

If you are trying to connection two LAN, 2 x UTM devices connected via IPSec would be the preferred option in this case.

fjfc87
Level 7
Message 5 of 28

Thanks but I already have a PPTP VPN, but I want to raise up the security level of my vpn so I want to use L2TP/IPSEC to my vpn server instead PPTP.

rcamm
Level 13
Message 6 of 28

We hope to expect to have this running for our version 5 firmware.

If you ensure your pptp passwords are complex, the security is greatly enhanced.

fjfc87
Level 7
Message 7 of 28

Ok, thanks, but now I have other question, the connection problem in the VPN through L2TP/IPSEC is in the UTM firmware?

I really need a L2TP/IPSEC VPN, because my users want to work under L2TP/IPSEC not PPTP.

rcamm
Level 13
Message 8 of 28

Yes, it is a feature lacking from the firmware.

The firmware supports UTM to UTM L2TP, but the Microsoft implementation  is still to come.

fjfc87
Level 7
Message 9 of 28

Ok, thanks very much, you've very helped me, but I have other questions?

The first is: Can I use a previous firmware to solve this problem?

Is very important for me to use L2TP/IPSEC in my VPN.

The second is: When leaves the new firmware?

rcamm
Level 13
Message 10 of 28

Version 3 firmware supported Microsoft's native client as long as long as there was no NAT in the path between the client and server.

When NAT traversal was implemented by Microsoft ( XP SP2 ), it did not work with many other vendors equipment.

We were hoping to at least have the same functionaility in version 4 by now, and more, but since it involved some heavey changes to the IPSec code, it has not made it to a production production release yet.

Currently the main client we work with is Openswan...which is what we use on the UTM devices.

The shrew client is becoming more popular I have noticed among users for IPSec road warrior VPN connections.

I know development are aggressively coding in preparation for the next release, of which the latest publically available is 4.5 beta, available at our downloads page.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community