cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: There seems to be a problem connecting to the true key servers

Norman,

Just thought I'd tell you that I am able to log into my TrueKey without issue. I'm no expert so I won't try to dazzle you with my brilliance. However, did you check to see if your computer is allowing the TrueKey app to connect to the servers? Is it possible the firewall or an antivirus is preventing your connection?

My first thought was the firewall which I turned off to try. No joy. Haven't yet turned off the AV yet, but this is running happily on my old laptop which uses the same AV and firewall software. Still it's worth a try.

Thanks.

McAfee Employee marcd
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 33 of 46

The issue that you might be seeing is using the True Key desktop standalone app vs. True Key Extension First. I don't have enough information on this yet but from what I gather so far, users that have had this networking error they were all running the desktop standalone application.

Can you please confirm that is your case as well?

Thanks,

Marc D.

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

Yes this is the standalone desktop application.
Also I have now tried turning off both the firewall and AV software and it makes no difference. It seems to respond immediately that there's a problem connecting to the servers, imo too quickly, almost as if it's not even trying to connect.
One further bit of info is that I'm connected directly to my network via a cable and not WiFi. Machine is  brand new Dell XPS 15 with the latest Windows.

McAfee Employee marcd
McAfee Employee
Message 35 of 46

Please try again the True Key desktop app and let me know if it works now.

Thanks,

Marc D.

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

McAfee Employee marcd
McAfee Employee
Message 36 of 46

I don't think there is a network issue, I am confirming this but in the meantime please tell me how you are downloading True Key?

Thanks,

Marc D.

McAfee Employee marcd
McAfee Employee
Message 37 of 46

Can you please tell me the version of the True Key standalone desktop app you are now running?

Thanks,

Marc D.

McAfee Employee marcd
McAfee Employee
Message 38 of 46

3 questions for you, first if I understand correctly, you have one system running the True Key desktop standalone app and you are getting this error: "Hmm, not able to connect. There seems to be a problem connecting to the True Key servers. Try again, or sign in offline using your Master Password.". and on another system you are trying to install the desktop standalone app and getting the same error, is this correct?

To install TK on this new system are you reusing the same downloaded executable from the other system?

What is the version of the True Key that is running in your older system?

Thanks,

Marc D.

Hi Marc,

In answers to your three questions....

1. Not quite correct. I have one older laptop on which the Truekey desktop app is working perfectly. It prompts me to login using the master password and when I do that I briefly get a small window which says 'Validating' or 'Verifying' or similar and then it logs me in correctly with no problem. That system has been successfully working for about 18 months with no issue. I've received a new laptop which I'm trying to configure and it is the one with the error Hmm, not able to connect. There seems to be a problem connecting to the True Key servers. Try again, or sign in offline using your Master Password."

2. I downloaded a fresh version of the installation executable today, but both systems seem to be using the same version.

3. Both systems are showing version 6.0.150.1

Thanks,

Norman.

McAfee Employee marcd
McAfee Employee
Message 40 of 46

Thanks for clarifying this to me, so on the new laptop where you are trying to configure True key, can you please tell me at which point exactly you get this error message?

Also, if one system is running TK correctly and the other one you cannot, and both have the same True Key version, the only difference might be the Windows OS build, can you please confirm both versions on these machines?

Thanks,

Marc D.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community