Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 12

mcafee says I need to update chrome 36.0.1985.143

For about a year about once a week or so I get from mcafee total protection that I need to update chrome 36.0.1985.143..  It is also listed as a critical update that I should download and install.    But that is, as far as I can tell a very old version of chrome and I have a much newer version on my machine which, when I check is very much up to date.  Now the update my app feature at times provides very useful information so I do not want to turn it off.  But why does it keep asking me to install this old version of chrome?

11 Replies
Highlighted

Re: mcafee says I need to update chrome 36.0.1985.143

@muthu_ganesh

Can you or anther mod comment please.

Highlighted
Level 8
Message 3 of 12

Thanks for the referral Peacemaker

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 12

hello @forum 

i had a similar problem in the past when i was using Chrome. i could resolve it by doing a reinstall of Chrome. it was probably caused by an earlier update of Chrome itself

have you tried a reinstall of Chrome itself ?......

if yes, than better to wait when the mod respons.

Highlighted

Mine is Version 76.0.3809.100 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Level 8
Message 6 of 12

Thanks for your response.  SO is mine at present.

Highlighted
Level 8
Message 7 of 12

Thanks for the response.  Yes, have done so, so will have to see what the mods think.  Actually in the past I have had this happen with other apps (e.g. adobe acrobat XI) and it eventually goes away if I cancel a few times, at least I think this is what does it.  But this one appears to be lasting longer.  Plus it is for an old version of chrome not the current version.  I checked my program list and there is no such version on it.  As you say is probably caused by some update.  Mine is now 76.0.3809.100 

Highlighted

Yes, that updater has made a few mistakes in the past but they quickly remedied it.
Highlighted
Level 8
Message 9 of 12

Thanks for the response.  Yes, have done so, so will have to see what the mods think.  Actually in the past I have had this happen with other apps (e.g. adobe acrobat XI) and it eventually goes away if I cancel a few times, at least I think this is what does it.  But this one appears to be lasting longer.  Plus it is for an old version of chrome not the current version.  I checked my program list and there is no such version on it.  As you say is probably caused by some update.  Mine is now 76.0.3809.100 

Highlighted

Peacemaker? Funny that is a common error here I am Peacekeeper 😋

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community