cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Windows 10 Settings window will not open ..

Jump to solution

I have Total Protection installed on Dell XPS One 2720 with latest Win 10 updates.

I seem to have a problem with the Win 10 Settings window opening.  It will open every now and then but usually all I see is a blue window with a gear in the middle and then it closes.  It never gets to the actual settings page.

I uninstalled McAfee and the window started working normally again.  A couple of days later, I reinstalled it and the window fails again.  It seems something is trying to open but being blocked my McAfee.

I have run the preinstall tool and the diagnostic tool which finds no problems.  I am getting WerFaults and entries in the Event Viewer.  I am seeing some type of problem with the User Profile Service which might be something being blocked. The software is installed on two other newerDell systems and has no problem on either one.

Anybody seen  this software causing problems for some Win 10 installs?

Thanks..

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Windows 10 Settings window will not open ..

Jump to solution

After the third install and the update of the Nvidia drivers the Settings panel seems to be operating normally.  The last time I installed, I went through the registry and removed all references I could find to McAfee, one of which was a Dell reference probably for the initial McAfee install from the OEM.

The user profile situation is still occuring, only when the Event Viewer is opened.  So possibly something it is doing is still being blocked.

Thanks again.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Jump to solution

@Saltgrass 

Since you have stated as you are seeing user profile issues on event viewer, try creating new admin user and check if you have the same issues on the new user as well. Please update us the status.

Also let us know the McAfee version installed on your computer.

Regards
Siva

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response.  All 3 of my systems with McAfee Total Protection installed (latest) show the same User Profile warnings which seem to be generated by Tiledatamodelsvc.  Only one of the three is having a problem. 

I am very hesitant to add another user and hopefully since only systems with McAfee are showing the profile warning.   My other two systems, without McAfee, are not showing any profile problems.

I am trying to use Process Monitor to track down any differences between when the window stays open and when it closes.  It is very tedious so it may take a while even if I am able to pull out some activity.

I am seeing the IPv6 traffic from my router being blocked and have not been able to allow those contacts.  I am going to try to add the IPv6 address to the network locations in the firewall.  But since I am seeing all sorts of traffic being blocked, I cannot tell if something in the list might be involved.

I will keep investigating and do show the Settings app "Stopped working" in the Reliability Monitor.  Most of those are "StackHash_ac46" or an Nvidia component.  I will look for an updated Nvidia driver.

Jump to solution

I did install the Nvidia video driver and it seems to have cleared up the Settings Window problem.

While I was testing the window to make sure it continue to open, I realized I no longer was able to turn on Network Discovery or File and Printer sharing.  I could select the options but they would not stick.  So I started troubleshooting that and went all the way through uninstalling McAfee and still no Network Discovery.

After doing things like checking for appropriate services I checked the Windows firewall and most of the rules had been removed.  I do not know how that happened, but I reset the defaults on the Windows Firewall and Network Discovery is working normally.

Tomorrow, I will try again to install McAfee to see what happens.  If I discover anything during that process, I will advise.

Thanks again...

Jump to solution

After the third install and the update of the Nvidia drivers the Settings panel seems to be operating normally.  The last time I installed, I went through the registry and removed all references I could find to McAfee, one of which was a Dell reference probably for the initial McAfee install from the OEM.

The user profile situation is still occuring, only when the Event Viewer is opened.  So possibly something it is doing is still being blocked.

Thanks again.

View solution in original post

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community