Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrshvd3
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

Total Protection checking for Windows Updates

Jump to solution

I don't want my McAfee Total Protection checking for Windows Updates (I think it's part of the Vulnerability Scanner?).  How do I disable that feature, please?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: Total Protection checking for Windows Updates

Jump to solution

@mrshvd3

The Programs updates means other applications which is installed on your computer. Our article will help you to know in brief about the Vulnerability Scanner https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview?locale=en-US&articleId=TS101607

Regards
Siva

Highlighted
mrshvd3
Level 10
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

Thank you, Siva -- That article had exactly what I needed to know.  Have a good day.

6 Replies
Moderator sanjay
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

@mrshvd3

Though not recomended you can disable the feature.

Open McAfee UI and click on the cog wheel (top right corner), from the dropdown menu select "Vulnerability Scanner". Click on custom scan settings and uncheck "Don't check for Windows updates" and click Apply.

Cheers

Sanjay

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
mrshvd3
Level 10
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

@sanjay wrote:

@mrshvd3

Though not recomended you can disable the feature.

Open McAfee UI and click on the cog wheel (top right corner), from the dropdown menu select "Vulnerability Scanner". Click on custom scan settings and uncheck "Don't check for Windows updates" and click Apply.

Cheers

Sanjay

Hi, Sanjay -- Actually, the first thing I did after installing the Total Protection was to go looking through the settings and disable anything having to do with "Automatic" (as in updates) or "Scheduled" (as in scans).  I check my updates and do a full scan every day and like having the control over when they are done.  And I did see that "Don't check for Windows Updates" is checked.  I have a message from yesterday that says "You have application and Windows Updates."  I haven't run a Vulnerability Scan, so how would that message be there?  Also, if it detects app and Win updates available, does it give me details of what these updates are, or does it just arbitrarily download and install them?  I don't want any updates that I haven't selected.  I truly appreciate any assistance in trying to get used to the new interface.

Jump to solution

@mrshvd3

If you have enabled the option "Both" underneath Scheduled scan settings for Vulnerability Scanner along with the enabled settings "Automatically install all updates after every scan", then it will install windows updates. Please change the settings to install "Program updates" alone in the settings.  Below  screenshot will help you in this regard.

Vulscan.png

Regards
Siva

mrshvd3
Level 10
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

@sivasubramanian wrote:

@mrshvd3

If you have enabled the option "Both" underneath Scheduled scan settings for Vulnerability Scanner along with the enabled settings "Automatically install all updates after every scan", then it will install windows updates. Please change the settings to install "Program updates" alone in the settings.  Below  screenshot will help you in this regard.

Vulscan.png

Regards
Siva

I appreciate your input.  I have "don't set a scan schedule" selected.  I do scans and updates on my schedule.  I'd also like to know what programs these updates are for.

Jump to solution

@mrshvd3

The Programs updates means other applications which is installed on your computer. Our article will help you to know in brief about the Vulnerability Scanner https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview?locale=en-US&articleId=TS101607

Regards
Siva

Highlighted
mrshvd3
Level 10
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

Thank you, Siva -- That article had exactly what I needed to know.  Have a good day.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community