cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stopping McAfee removing items from Real-Time Scanning exclude list

I am running Total Protection 16.0 R22 on Windows 10.

McAfee allows me to exclude files from Real-Time Scanning by adding them to a list. McAfee will periodically see if these excluded files have changed and, if they have, it will remove them from the list. 

I understand this but it provides a problem when you are developing software. I have to put my executable in the exclude list but, as I develop the software, the executable changes and so McAfee moves it out of the exclude list and I have to repeatedly keep putting it back in. My other alternative is to switch off Real-Time Scanning while I am developing the software.

Neither of these solutions is optimal. Is there a way that I can tell McAfee that this executable needs to remain in the exclude list until I choose to remove it?

3 Replies
Karthik_K Moderator
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: Stopping McAfee removing items from Real-Time Scanning exclude list

Hello @Simon_H_1982 

May we know, are you facing this issue when a new file is created with same file name and file extension during developing a software or McAfee is always removing a same file which always exists in a specific location? also please let us know your McAfee version and Operating System details.

Regards,
Karthik K

I am running McAfee Total Protection 16.0 R22 on Windows 10 Pro v1903 64bits.

I am developing code using C++Builder and this places the newly built executable in the same directory with the same name as the previous one. On some of  the programs I am developing McAfee thinks that the executable is doubtful when I run it and quarantines the executable (for example it reports the threat as Real Protect-LS!902D5CF87A0D). I can then rebuild it, put it in the exclude list and run it. However, when I create the next build (in the same directory and filename) McAfee sees it has changed and so removes it from the exclude list and I am back to square one.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Highlighted

Hi,

It's over a week since the last post in the conversation. I'm happy to wait for a good solution but I just wanted to check that we're still in the loop and have not fallen through a crack.

Thanks

Want to Ask a Question?
Many members like to perform a search first in case other customers have already asked and answered a similar question. However, to ask a question, first select a forum then click on Post a Topic. You must sign in or log in with your existing credentials.

McAfee Service Portal customers please use your existing username and password to log into the community.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community