cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lizw4562
Level 8

McAfee Total Protection stuck updating

Jump to solution

McAfee Total Protection (W10) gets stuck on updates. I have automatic updates on but the McAfee Total Protection icon in the tray constantly shows the blue circle "Checking for updates" icon. If I open up Total Protection and manually start a check for updates it says it is installing updates but never gets past 0%. If I switch off Automatic Updates it tells me my computer is at risk. On checking "About" I find it is several months since an update was actually installed. Worrying!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lizw4562
Level 8

Re: McAfee Total Protection stuck updating

Jump to solution

Thank you for your help. I tried all your suggestions but the problem persisted. Contacted support who uninstalled and reinstalled Total Protection which now seems to be working OK.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

The "constant updating" issue is a known one and discussed in several other threads.

It has a fix in distribution.

With Windows 10 software often malfunctions if the machine hasn't been rebooted in a while.

Make sure "Fast Startup" is turned off in Power Options.  (It prevents proper rebooting).

See this Tutorial.  Windows 10 Forums

Then  reboot and once everything is up and running again run the Virtual Technician.

If that fails to fix anything look down that page to the left and click "Contact Support".

Also make sure your System Clock is accurate, that often can cause this.

Phone and Online Chat help is free of charge.

I trust Windows is up to date and you have an always on Internet connection?

0 Kudos
lizw4562
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thank you for your help. I tried all your suggestions but the problem persisted. Contacted support who uninstalled and reinstalled Total Protection which now seems to be working OK.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

Unlocked this thread as I wanted to ask.. what version was installed by the support tech 14.10.r13 or 15.1.r2?

0 Kudos
lizw4562
Level 8

Jump to solution

It was 14.10.r13

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

Thanks will lock this thread again. Latest version 15.1.r2 on hold but r13 fine.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

Discussion successfully moved from Virus and Spyware Protection to General Discussion

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos