Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 18

McAfee Suspicious Connections

Jump to solution

Hi,

I had question question about total protection product for windows. I had always had McAfee Total Protection on my app but rarely looked through it, I just mainly let it do its thing and checked in once in a while. I recently had look around the app as I got a bit bored and I found that on the security history section it had mentioned that it blocked "suspicious incoming connections". I did a bit of research and understood that this is pretty normal, even if there are a lot of connections blocked. What I found weird was that I installed McAfee on my Windows laptop, I think around mid to late May this year and the blocking of connections started on 12/06 (12th June).

I am bit concerned as I am a mainly a mac user and have only some basic experience with security related issues for windows. I also checked some of the IPs that were blocked and they looked familiar but I am still a bit worried.

I would really appreciate if you guys could let me know if this worth any concern.

Thank you😀

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Message 2 of 18

Re: McAfee Suspicious Connections

Jump to solution

Hello @Jay1771 

McAfee Firewall stops unsafe connections being made to your computer. You might see large amounts of blocked connections in your Security History. Don’t be alarmed – your McAfee software is simply telling you that it kept you safe; The Firewall blocked any suspicious connections, so you don't need to worry about them.

When your input is needed, you will see a McAfee alert in the bottom right of your screen.

NOTE: Some blocked connections are the result of old network connections that your computer closed, only to receive a late close acknowledgment (or 'packet') from the remote system. These late responses occur often, but aren’t a security concern.

Advanced users might want to use a packet sniffer or analyzer, or a web browser traffic-monitoring product to investigate further. These tools capture HTTP and HTTPS traffic coming to and from your PC, and allow you to log and review that traffic.

Regards,
Madhan M

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it Accept as Solution and give Kudos if appropriate

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Message 13 of 18

Jump to solution

Hello @Jay1771 

Thanks for the info.

I did a bit of research online about Delta and as far as I know, it could be related to Delta Airlines. I couldn't find any other popular program with the name Delta. I request you to research online about the Delta App on your computer. If you are not sure how it got installed, I suggest you to remove it, but only after a complete research.

I suspect that it could be a False Positive detection by Malwarebytes. So, I request to visit  www.virustotal.com and you can check if the file which is being quarantined by Malwarebytes is a legit detection or False Positive. 

If its False Positive, you can contact Malwarebytes and let them know so that they will fix it.

If its not a False Positive detection and McAfee is failing to detect the file as a Malware, you can follow the below Article that will help you report to concern team in McAfee,

How to submit virus samples to McAfee

Hope the above information helps you.

Regards,
Madhan M

17 Replies
Highlighted
Message 2 of 18

Jump to solution

Hello @Jay1771 

McAfee Firewall stops unsafe connections being made to your computer. You might see large amounts of blocked connections in your Security History. Don’t be alarmed – your McAfee software is simply telling you that it kept you safe; The Firewall blocked any suspicious connections, so you don't need to worry about them.

When your input is needed, you will see a McAfee alert in the bottom right of your screen.

NOTE: Some blocked connections are the result of old network connections that your computer closed, only to receive a late close acknowledgment (or 'packet') from the remote system. These late responses occur often, but aren’t a security concern.

Advanced users might want to use a packet sniffer or analyzer, or a web browser traffic-monitoring product to investigate further. These tools capture HTTP and HTTPS traffic coming to and from your PC, and allow you to log and review that traffic.

Regards,
Madhan M

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it Accept as Solution and give Kudos if appropriate

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 3 of 18

Jump to solution

@Madhan 

Thank you very much for your prompt reply its highly appreciated, apologies for my reply not being as swift. 

Although I acknowledge that it is very much normal for McAfee to block connections and that it will alert me as soon as user input is required, my main concern was relating to the gap of which the computer had no connections blocked. 

To be more specific I believe I installed my new subscription of McAfee on 14th May and there were no blocked connections from then on until 12th June. This raised concerns as Mcafee has been blocking connections ever since 12th June. So is it normal for such a large gap of nearly a month for these blocked connections to show up on my McAfee security history log.

Thank you

Highlighted
Message 4 of 18

Jump to solution

Hello @Jay1771 

McAfee blocks unsafe connections being made to your computer and the reason for not showing such unsafe connections from May till June is because there wasn't any such connections initiated at that time and that's why It didn't appear on the console.

From June-12, there were some unauthorized connections trying to get into your system and McAfee blocked such connections and appear in your security log.

Regards,
Madhan M 

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 5 of 18

Jump to solution

Hi @Madhan,

Sorry if this has strung on a bit.

Thank you very much for clarify why there was a gap with no blocked connections.

I had looked up some of the IP Addresses that were blocked and know that I had visited those sites on the twelfth but had also visited those sites up to one/two weeks before so shouldn't there be those early connections logged as well. Can this sudden jump in blocked connections be caused by a security issue with my home wifi or something like that? I just would like to know what are the usual causes for this sudden jump in blocked connections are, so I can eliminate any external/internal factors that have caused this issue. I have McAfee on my MacBook, which I have also visited the same sites with but there does not seem to be any blocked connections on the McAfee history log, only scans. 

Your valuable time, knowledge and patience is highly appreciated.

Sorry if this has been quite an inconvenience.

Thank you

Highlighted
Message 6 of 18

Jump to solution

Hello @Jay1771 

Sorry for the delayed response.

McAfee interface for MAC and Windows are similar but there are few options that's not included in MAC. McAfee on MAC doesn't have the feature to list the blocked connections on McAfee history log. As I mentioned before, it could be due to no suspicious connections during MAY and those kind of connections would have tried to access you machine in June. We also request you to monitor.for few days or even months and let us know if the same happens.

Regards,
Madhan M  

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 7 of 18

Jump to solution

@Madhan 

Thank you very much for your time and effort.

I will make sure to monitor the security history log and report back if the connections are continuing to show up in the blocked list or if there is any suspicious things happening related to the specific device.

*Also I forgot to mention one thing I am quite sure it's not related, but maybe two weeks after first few blocked connections the device showed up, an error of HP 301 (Relating to the hard disk and smart hard disk) came up when I started the device. I ran an extensive diagnostics (F2, Diagnostics) test on both of them and they "failed" the test. The laptop does have a 7+ years of moderate usage so I am sure this could be normal. Should this be a cause for concern/could this be related?

Thank you

Highlighted
Message 8 of 18

Jump to solution

Hello @Jay1771 

I don't think that this could be related to the concern you've reported to us. Please have a word with your system manufacturer and they will help you with HP 301 error.

Regards,
Madhan M

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 9 of 18

Jump to solution

Hi @Madhan ,

Thank you for your reply, I will have a look into the issue with HP.

Thank you

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi @Madhan,

IMPORTANT

More suspicious activity has occurred:

- I had installed malwarebytes as well and it is currently in the period of the premium free trial and it has quarantined an app named "DELTA" through the rtp (real time protection) feature. Why has Mcafee not picked this up and should I be worried?

- Also running a full scan it took 5+ hours just to get 76%, I don't usually run full scans so I am not certain if this usual (350k+ files on the device)

Thank you

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community