cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee Scheduled Scan Problems.

McAfee Scheduled Scan Problems - 26 March 2019

Scheduled scanning is not working on my desktop PC. I have the automatic scan scheduled for 1:00 AM on Tuesday mornings. It should run and be completed before I do any other tasks later that morning. But when I check the status, I am seeing a message, "You cancelled your virus scan before we were done". It goes on to say, "You might want to fix any issuses left behind, then scan again. Here's what we found so far."

Files scanned: 10,053
Issuses found: 0
Issuses fixed: 0
Issuses left: 0

The scan is scheduled for a time when I am not using my PC at all and yet, for the past two weeks it has failed to run at the scheduled time. I've unchecked the option to "Wait until my PC is idle to run scheduled tasks like scans, automatic updates and QuickClean". I then tried setting another scheduled scan for another time that morning. When the scheduled time arrived, it did not start the scan.

I am running the McAfee Total Protection. Version 16.0. Release name 16.0.R18 on Windows 10.

My PC is:

HP Pavillion 595-P0074
Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-8400 Processor
12 GB DDR4 SDRAM

zanephalen

4 Replies
Highlighted
Moderator sanjay
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

Re: McAfee Scheduled Scan Problems.

@zanephalen 

With your description of the issue, seems that the scan is most probably getting postponed and at some point getting canceled. Were there any recent changes made to your PC in the recent past? I ask this as you mention that the issue started in the past two weeks.

Also as a side note if you prepone the scheduled scan to 10 or 11 PM, does the scan complete?

Cheers

Sanjay S

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

Greetings sanjay

Thanks for your reply.

No, there have been no recent changes to my computer.  I've only had this computer for a little over a month now (purchased 15 February, 2019).  One of the first things I did was update McAfee to insure my subscription license was added to this computer.  I've looked at Task Scheduler to see if the scheduled scan is included in the list of tasks.  I can't really determine anything from looking at that so I didn't try to change or adjust anything there.

Like I said in my original post, I tried setting the schedule to a later time in the day just to see if it would start and it didn't.  I then unchecked the option to "Wait until my PC is idle to run scheduled tasks like scans, automatic updates and QuickClean".  It still would not start on the scheduled time.

In the meantime I am running manual scans if it does not run.  I want to see if it runs as scheduled next Tuesday morning at the scheduled time of 12:05 AM.  If it does not run then I'll have to continue to work to resolve thios problem,

Hi zanephalen, does quick scan complete if you run it manually?
If not, maybe this will help; https://community.mcafee.com/t5/VirusScan/Quick-Scan-Cancelled-Itself/td-p/616025

Hello Tiredguy:

Thanks for the reply.

My initial post was about the Scheduled Scan.  I got the error message, "You cancelled your virus scan before we were done".

I haven't been using the Quick Scan option but I ran it after reading your post and yes, the same thing happens.

After reading the posts in the link you provided, I didn't see a solution.  I've contacted McAfee support via the Chat option about this and they say it is a known issue that will be fixed in a later version but I've not received any date as to when the updated version will be available.  My copy of the software is version 16.0 R18.

Currently I am running manual scans on the dates that I set for the Scheduled Scan.  That completes without any issues, so far.

Again, thanks for the info.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community