cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: LiveSafe Feedback

Jump to solution

I have had this behavior happen to me multiple times, on multiple computers.  I have quite a few computers in my home, some laptop and some desktop.  I don't turn some of them off, so my problem of having McAfee start a scan after being powered on does not apply routinely to most of my computers.

As a programmer myself, I understand the concept of an interrupt and how it can be used to stop a process and either terminate it or allow the CPU to work on another task.  I also know that it is possible for one to program a process such that it does not respond to interrupts, or does not respond very often, as a strategy to allow the process to advance with as little interruption as possible.

However, it seems to me that when you program a "cancel" button into your application, and a cancellation does not materially affect the operation of your application (eg. you have a process to count from 1 to 1000...who cares if you stop it in mid-process?), I expect a cancel button to respond immediately.

McAfee Employee tromine
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 12 of 17

Jump to solution

Good feedback, Dr Tech - 

I'll raise this with the Development team.  1) Cancel should be responsive.  2) Catch-up scans after a period of being turned off.  This last one is a bit more sensitive...and need to think about what the appropriate behavior should be.  Thanks!

Product Manager, McAfee Consumer Software
BorisV
Level 8
Message 13 of 17

Jump to solution
I can suggest a behaviour.
1. Modify the tray icon to add the blue “i”.

2. Display a notification saying “Hey, we couldn’t scan your system as scheduled, because your computer was not on. Would you like us to scan now and make sure you are good to go?
You can also leave automatic scan check files as you use them.”
Buttons should be “Scan Now” and “Remind me in”
Remind me in can include various options + “Never”
Add the ability to permanently disable this alert via “Do not show again” and General Settings -> Alerts

3. Add the same thing in the carousel area under Home and PC Security.
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 14 of 17

Jump to solution

@tromine

In my testing scheduled scans cancel fine. So unsure this a common issue. Will test another Pc.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee tromine
McAfee Employee
Message 15 of 17

Jump to solution

Thanks Peacekeeper!  Great seeing you continuing to offer us product feedback, and fellow-users your expertise. 

Product Manager, McAfee Consumer Software
BorisV
Level 8
Message 16 of 17

Jump to solution

It works fine on all 3 laptops of mine as well.

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 17 of 17

Jump to solution

As it also does on my wife PC. 

@DrTechnical 

If this cancel issue is only on 1 PC maybe a uninstall reinstall is needed. I notice R19 just got installed so maybe see if that fixed anything.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community