Highlighted
mrshvd3
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

Full scan question.

Jump to solution

I have Total Protection for One Device.

I know I have to be connected to the Internet in order to do updates.  Do I have to be connected to the Internet in order to do full scans?  Or can they also be done offline?  If you need more information from me, please let me know.

And thank you for all the questions you answer for all of us.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Moderator sanjay
Message 2 of 5

Re: Full scan question.

Jump to solution

@mrshvd3

The scan would still work if you are not connected to internet. However, McAfee also leverages GTI (Global Threat Intelligence) and needs internet to work. 

GTI helps to secure your computer from unknown threats by allowing your McAfee software to communicate with McAfee servers in real time to identify new threats and take appropriate action using a combination of signature and behavior analysis with community threat intelligence.

Cheers

Sanjay

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
mrshvd3
Level 10
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution

@sanjay wrote:

@mrshvd3

The scan would still work if you are not connected to internet. However, McAfee also leverages GTI (Global Threat Intelligence) and needs internet to work. 

GTI helps to secure your computer from unknown threats by allowing your McAfee software to communicate with McAfee servers in real time to identify new threats and take appropriate action using a combination of signature and behavior analysis with community threat intelligence.

Cheers

Sanjay

Thank you very much, Sanjay.  Just what I needed to know.  Have a good weekend.

4 Replies
Moderator sanjay
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

@mrshvd3

Cheers

Sanjay

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
mrshvd3
Level 10
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution

@sanjay wrote:

@mrshvd3

Cheers

Sanjay

Thank you very much, Sanjay.  Just what I needed to know.  Have a good weekend.

Jump to solution
I recently downloaded McAffee security antivirus and antispyware. I started a full scan 30hrs ago, and it has been at 23% for 24hrs. No threats have been found but, I am also curious about how long this scan will take. I had Kaspersky before this, their full scan was very efficient, took considerably less time and was able to catch any viruses, malware, spyware etc. I have a PC with a 1TB hard drive and no external hard drives are currently connected.
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

Not normal first scan may take 1-2 hrs follow up less as McAfee remembers files it already passed and if not changed skips them.

2 things to do.

1 Run MVT and see if something is amiss and it can fix it

MVT

2. Remove McAfee via the method below and reinstall rebooting at least 2 times during the removal

How to remove McAfee

It is a good idea to run preinstall before reinstalling Mcafee from your account

Preinstall Tool

If still slow call support something on your PC might be clashing with Mcafee

OH another thought did you fully remove Kaspersky with its own removal tool before installing McAfee this can lead to clashes with the scanner if not done.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community