Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 14

Full scan issue on updated Total Protection

Hello -- Today my Total Protection -- 1 Device updated to Version 16.0, Release 16.0 R25.  After the updating finished, I ran a Quick Scan, which went fine.

I did some things online, then shut down the computer (had somewhere to go).  When I started up later, I decided to run a Full Scan, which I do several times a week.

After over 15 minutes, I was still showing only 1% completed, plus this below the "wheel":

Items scanned:  0

Scanning Now:  ...Rootkit Scan Started

I gave it a few more minutes, then gave up on it when nothing had advanced.  I'm glad the Quick Scan still works, but what is going on now with the Full Scan??

13 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 2 of 14

Re: Full scan issue on updated Total Protection

Hello @mrshvd3 

We are sorry that the Scan is taking a long time. RootKit Scan will take sometime to complete and proceed scanning other files.

We would request you to follow the below McAfee Article to fix this issue.

McAfee Article

Once you complete performing the steps provided in the above article, please restart the computer and try running a Full Scan. 

Let us know if the problem is sorted out or not.

Regards,
Madhan M

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it Accept as Solution and give Kudos if appropriate

Highlighted
Level 10
Message 3 of 14

Hello, Madhan --

Thank you very much for your prompt reply and instructions yesterday. I appreciate your help.

The short answer to whether it worked is "No".

I printed off the article you sent and followed the instructions today. After disabling Access Protection, I downloaded and ran the ModifyCntxID.exe tool. After right-clicking on the ModifyCntxID.exe tool, clicking on "Run As Administrator" and clicking "Yes" on the UAC prompt, I didn't know if anything else was needed, so I waited to see if I'd get any other message (such as "Done"). When I didn't get anything else, I re-enabled Access Protection and restarted the computer. I hope I didn't miss any steps.

I then started a Full Scan, and waited. After an hour of "1%", "Items Scanned: 0", and "Rootkit Scan Started", I gave up.

(By the way, if anyone else is having this problem, please don't just read this and say, "Yeah, me, too!" -- post it so McAfee will know that it's not an isolated issue!)

I've run full scans all the time and never had a problem until after yesterday's update to 16.0 R25. I hope I'm not now going to be subjected to having to uninstall and reinstall my McAfee just because your update has apparently screwed things up.

As is obvious, I'm not a techie, so I'd appreciate it if any further instructions include as much detail as possible. I won't be offended if you "dumb it down" for me (smile).

I do appreciate any assistance. I just want to be able to do full scans. The Quick Scan function works just fine -- let's leave that one alone (again, smile).

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 4 of 14

Hi @mrshvd3 

Thanks for the information.

First, I would request you to check if there any pending Windows Updates. Please initiate all pending Windows Updates and make sure everything is up to date. Restart the computer.

Now, try running a Full Scan again and check if it works or not. If you still witness the issue, I would request you to  Uninstall and Reinstall McAfee as the new McAfee update might be causing the issue.

Let me know if the issue gets sorted out after performing all the above steps.

Regards,
Madhan M

Highlighted
Level 10
Message 5 of 14

Hi, Madhan -- My operating system is Windows 7; updates for it were discontinued back in January.  Under the Vulnerability Scanner, I have checked the option not to check for Windows Updates when scanning.

In uninstalling and reinstalling, do I have to do anything with my membership subscription? I have about a month and a half left before it automatically renews itself if I decide to stay. At the moment, that decision is up in the air.

I don't doubt for one minute that the new McAfee update has caused the issue. Which is why I wonder why it shouldn't be resolved from your end. I hate the fact that something for which I'm paying to protect my computer should be itself causing me problems.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 6 of 14

Hi @mrshvd3 

We apologize for the inconvenience caused. Usually when an update gets rolled out, it will update the current product to the latest version and shouldn't cause any issues. If there is any issue occurred while updating, then it might cause the product to malfunction.

You may uninstall and reinstall McAfee and no changes will occur to your subscription. It will remain the same.

Regards,
Madhan M

Highlighted
Level 10
Message 7 of 14

Hi, Madhan -- And what if going through the hassle of uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't correct the issue?  I often browse through the postings under various subjects on here to see what I can learn, and very often see replies stating that uninstalling/reinstalling made no difference in whatever the problem was. 

So, I need to ask before I go into this -- and it is a hassle -- what if that is the case?  What next?

I do appreciate your time and efforts and your answers to my questions.

Regards, mrshvd3

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 8 of 14

Hi @mrshvd3 

If re-installation doesn't sort out the problem, we need to collect Logs from your system and report to our Engineering Team. 

Regards,
Madhan M

Highlighted

Sometimes in installing or updating ( major updates a files gets corrupted . That might have happened in your case as R25 is scanning fine for me.

Another possibility is do you have another scanner active ie say Malwarebytes with real time scanning activated?

You said quick scan works does scheduled scan work as well?

Just adding extra comments to what already mentioned above.

Highlighted
Level 10
Message 10 of 14

Hi, Peacekeeper -- Thanks to both you and Madhan for your replies.

I'll most likely (heavy sigh) be doing the uninstall/reinstall in the next few days; things are a tad busy here at the moment, and I really need quiet and a clear head to get into that (smile). I've done it before, but these things always make me nervous.

Nothing other than McAfee is active and running.

I don't do any scheduled scans -- where there is a choice of scheduled/automatic and manual, I go with manual.

We'll see how things go. Maybe a later update will fix what's broke -- I've had that happen in the past, too.

Regards,

mrshvd3.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community