cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

£15 charge for removing a virus

Hi there,

Sorry I'm not sure where to post this - today my dad was trying to install McAfee on a new Windows desktop, and was unsuccessful several times. He then got a call from someone from McAfee (I hope) asking if he was having problems. So, as he was, he said yes he was. The caller then screenshared and found a virus, and charged £15 to remove it.

Is this a normal occurrence, or has be been somehow scammed?

Thank you

Amy

8 Replies
Highlighted

Re: £15 charge for removing a virus

@AmyL2020 This sound more like a scamming and your dad is a victim of scam. I have never seen McAfee support charging in that way but I hope you will get answer from McAfee team soon. 

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 9

hello,

in my experience would official McAfee support never call someone to ask if there are problems with the software.and receive a bill also for it without asking .

if there was contact with official McAfee support by telephone or chat your father would receive a serviceticketnumber also.

best way is to go for support visit; www.mcafee.com

on the upperside you can click ; go to consumers and above the newpage you can click on support or go direct to;

https://service.mcafee.com

pllease contact them. they can also help to set things up with the installation by remote help and probably check if everything is still ok.

hope this helps ?

Highlighted

Thank you both, he’s said that they have sent him a bill and that they said they are agents of McAfee called Zone Firewall. It all seems very odd to me. They are calling him back at 4pm today so see if everything is ok now. 

Thank you,

Amy

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 9

hello,

thank you for your feedback.

if i were you i would contact direct official Mcafee support from the site links i gave above to check if Zone Firewall is an official partner.

maybe you could do it before Zone Firewall calls ?

i find it very strange that they do a telephone call by themselves without contact first and ask for permission to do so and at the end present a bill for it.

if you go to http://service.mcafee.com

in the middle of the website there is big redbutton that says; contact with support on the right side.

maybe a Mcafee mod here can step in also to provide assistance with help ?

hope this helps ?

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 9

hello,

i would like to ask; have Zone Firewall call you back at the sheduled time ?

was it a reassuring phonecall ?

with google i found this website; https://zone-firewall.co.uk

i have visited this website and seems trustworthy. like a local shop you can visit and order software and services for help.

was this the shop that has contacted your dad perhaps ?

Highlighted

Hi there!

They did call back, so my dad questioned them and they said that they work alongside mcafee and mcafee had asked for them to call my dad when they noticed he was having problems installing the software. 

Thank you everyone for your help and comments.

Amy

Highlighted

How would anyone "notice" someone was having problems installing software unless they were spying on you, probably due to some kind of spyware having been previously  installed without your dad's knowledge?   I have been a McAfee customer for over 25 years and I know they NEVER call anyone unless it's part of an ongoing case where your dad has agreed to have them call..

McAfee do charge for virus removal if you use their official virus removal service but in this case I wonder if that part was genuine or not.

Call McAfee back and ask for a supervisor if you can't get satisfaction.

https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/

---
Peter
Toronto, Canada
---

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 9

hello,

thank you for your update.

i agree with the posting of exbrit (thank you for your reply on this subject).

the normal way when having a virus on a computer is to run your antivirus software and wait if it is detected and removed.

when it is a virus that is detected but could somehow not removed the standard way than you contact official support and discuss what options there are for removing it.

i hope you find the time to contact official Mcafee support during office hours on working days. best way to do it by phone in this case and perhaps sitting by your fathers computer in case they want to check if everything is ok on it.

greetings

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community