cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"System Tool" virus got installed despite McAfee running

System Tool is a horrible virus which my wife managed to somehow download onto my laptop.  I followed the instructions at this site and I was able to get rid of the system tool virus

Re: "System Tool" virus got installed despite McAfee running

Hi there, I completely understand. I was expecting a fedex/dhl delivery - checked my email and opened and downloaded the system tool virus. I called fedex and the announcement advised if you were calling for that reason- it was a virus. I already had malwarebytes and prodefender but becaus i downloaded it - i allowed it access to bypass my protection.  I had to uninstall both malwarebytes and pro-defender then re-install both ..that deleted so many virus/trojans located. I thought it was clear then I received another pop up hoax that my system was unprotected and to just download the antivirus. Then I saw the system tool virus hiding in the icon and notification area.    I seem to pick up more problems when i use internet explorer than safari but this one was completely my fault for not paying attention to the email ...many misspelled words -awkward setting-clear signs. I tried to run a windows defense scan but the virus would not allow me to run anything with .exe ....I thank everyone here for the advice -

Can't believe this ... just a month after clearing "System Tool" with Malwarebytes, I now seem to have picked up "Security Advisor" despite having bang up to date McAfee.

This time Malwarebytes hasn't found it and neither has Spybot ...

Unlike "System Tool" it is not debilitating, just lurks in the background, and pops up during web browsing, inviting me to do a "free scan" and will not close even with task manager !

Why has McAfee let this variant through, and any ideas on how to rid ?

spc3rd
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 114 of 115

Hi lauraeva,

I'm assuming your Malwarebytes database is up to date.  Have you tried doing a System Restore to an earlier time and then running a full scan with Malwarebytes?  One additional note:  after doing the System Restore, the McAfee icon may turn red and display the "unprotected status" message.  It will be necessary to click on the McAfee icon in your taskbar, and click on "check for updates" in order to bring McAfee back up to date.  I used this technique to rid my computer of the "Microsoft Security 2011" malware a couple of weeks ago...it might just work on what you have now.  Hope this helps...let us know if it works too.

Message was edited by: spc3rd on 4/9/11 9:00:11 PM ADT

Message was edited by: spc3rd on 4/11/11 5:52:14 PM ADT
SamSwift
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 115 of 115

Hi everyone,

I am going to close and lock this thread now. If you are visiting this site and have a new infection of 'System Tool' please start by using our FakeAlert Stinger. If that doesn't resolve the issue please start a new thread in our Top Threats space and we'll do all we can to help.

Kind regards,

Sam