Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deconnel
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 91 of 115

"System Tool" virus got installed despite McAfee running

I had the same problem...McAfee was useless...and doesn't seem to want to do anything about the problem.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 92 of 115

Dennis Connelly wrote:

I had the same problem...McAfee was useless...and doesn't seem to want to do anything about the problem.

This has already been discussed and the remedies offered. earlier in this thread and in dozens of others.

Highlighted

Respectfully, This is one of the major problems with McAfee, they don't listen to their customers. Now I understand you are a volenteer, not a McAfee employee, but you should be reassuring people that McAfee cares about their concerns about their computer security, not telling them to go read a 6 page thread of solutions related to other vendors.

Now enough berating the moderator,

This thread was started in December of 2010, and we are still seeing system tools bypass McAffee defenses. This appears to be the same version, as System tools is an edit of another rouge program "security tools"

(FYI, McAfee has an 88% rating on AV comaratives for other malware, including Rouge AV.)

Reliable Contributor
Message 94 of 115

Re: "System Tool" virus got installed despite McAfee running

I hear you but with all due respect people shouldn't post in someone else's thread without reading it first.   I've already posted that none of the antivirus applications catch this and why, but there are tools available that will, such as Malwarebytes Free, McAfee GetSusp coupled with Stinger etc.  Plus BleepingComputer forum even has a removal guide.    Google will help there.  Not to mention using System Restore which is the easiest to do.

It gets exhausting repeating oneself over and over again.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/03/11 9:17:29 EST PM

the BC article suggests that the user use MBAM, and its a good suggestion. I will look into this GetSusp program shortly, but truthfully, Rouge products appeared on the scene around 2009, and McAfee and other vendors seem to be having a hard time with them.

IAC, as a moderator, I personally think that you need to realize that many users wont read the forums, wont use the search function, and you will answer the same question over, and over again.

I am glad the system restore option works, this appears to be an oversight on the part of the malware manufacturer, as most infections will infect the restore points.

lauraeva
Level 7
Message 96 of 115

I feel like I kind of need to shout  ...

Anyone who uses a forum like this is likely to be computer literate enough to work out a fix.

For me I'd never tried to boot my new macine in safe mode, and it wasn't working.  System restore had been crippled by the infection.  Last time this kind of stuff happened restore point data was deleted anyway.

But what do people like our mums and dads do ... call out a support guy ... pay out £80 - 100 ? 

McAfee should have free support when primary defences fail - to help non-tech people get up and running again in a turnkey manner.

Yes ?

Reliable Contributor Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Message 97 of 115

Many of the posters who arrive at this forum are extremely clued-up and knowledgeable, and sometimes we're talking to people who might know more than us about the software/malware/hardware that's giving problems.

But not everyone is computer-literate, or indeed tech-savvy. And very many people know all too little about the different types of malware that are out there : a fake AV program is to them exactly the same as a virus, and McAfee is always to blame for not blocking it/detecting it/deleting it. They don't know how to fix it, and they expect McAfee to provide the fix. And as far as they're concerned, these forums are McAfee, and hence we get a share of the blame.

Well, that's folks for you. We try to help fix the problem, but Ex_Brit's right, each one who arrives is shouting for immediate attention and an immediate fix. Almost no-one bothers to read anything that's already there, despite the fact that a fix once found ought to be widely applicable.

I know some people don't know about the forums, and go straight to paid support to get their problems attended to. Sometimes it works well enough, but we see a lot of complaints about having to pay for a solution which (as some people realise too late when they get here) we could have offered them for free. But, if someone needs to be remotely assisted by a trained tech person, they ought not to expect too much of that persons time to be given free and gratis. McAfee is in the AV business, but also in the profit business. It doesn't see anything wrong in offering a paid-for PC repair service - to "help non-tech people get up and running again in a turnkey manner."

Now, to System Tool. It's a fake, a rogue. It's scareware. I agree that this one is worse than the usual run of such programs and McAfee, to their credit, are taking it more seriously than they have done many of the others. There are reliable methods for getting rid of it (System Restore, not least, which doesn't always work with other fake programs) and McAfee is trying to get more users to run GetSusp to tackle it. Ex_Brit has mentioned this.

In the meantime we use the most reliable sources of information we have to determine the best way to clear it from infected PCs, and pass that on to everyone who's unwittingly acquired the program.

But it can get very repetitive ... I think we ought to have a press-button interface for this section. "1. How to fix <...>" and so forth. The post count would go down by a huge amount.

pickrest
Level 7
Message 98 of 115

I  h ad had just paid to upgrade my subscription to McaFee's latest version and system tools came in within seconds after installation , I am annoyed that Mcafee has failed to detect this having  just paid for the latest version . Iwish now that I had bought  Norton instead . Norton picks it up. I wonder what has happened to Mcafee now as all local computer stockist in West London do not stock McaFee only Norton and a few others . It cost my three hours of time to clean the computer. McaFee is now well down the anti virus ratings

Reliable Contributor
Message 99 of 115

Re: "System Tool" virus got installed despite McAfee running

pickrest wrote:

I  h ad had just paid to upgrade my subscription to McaFee's latest version and system tools came in within seconds after installation , I am annoyed that Mcafee has failed to detect this having  just paid for the latest version . Iwish now that I had bought  Norton instead . Norton picks it up. I wonder what has happened to Mcafee now as all local computer stockist in West London do not stock McaFee only Norton and a few others . It cost my three hours of time to clean the computer. McaFee is now well down the anti virus ratings

Are you sure that Norton picks it up?   In that case get a refund and try it, but I think you will find that they do no such thing.

Various remedies have already been posted in this thread.

Here's one removal guide from using a Google Search:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-system-tool

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 03/03/11 6:45:06 EST PM

There is a supurb post with directions about recovering from Tool System.      Also,   if you have the System Recovery Disk and an image (Windows 7 can produce an image and Windows XP reports that a 'Full Back-up'  is including all software and data)  you can follow directions to re-intall from image (or full back-up).

An interesting aspect of Tool System virus:   When I called McAfee help desk and explained the problem I was quickly sent to a person who was only trying to sell me McAfee virus removal service for about $90 USD and also an add-on program from another $60 USD,   of course the add-on was not 100% secure.   Tool System appears to be a cash-cow for all security providers.