Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ConorD62
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 51 of 115

Re: "System Tool" virus got installed despite McAfee running

chrisbitz wrote:

And With the greatest of respect to all Mcaffee engineers and support staff, If free malwarebytes can do a 100% successful job at clearing up the mess, then a £50, paid for Mcaffee, should do the same. Even if they have to write an additional plugin from scratch to do it.

I simply do not accept that with Mcaffee's staggeringly HUGE resources compared to Malwarebytes, that they can't even match it. Unless Malwarebytes is run by a few world-class geniuses that Mcaffee simply can't match. But I doubt it. :-)

On the other hand, I'm making good money out of this. So thanks! :-)

Hi,

These Fake Anti Viruses are deemed as Malware, not viruses, which is why Malwarebytes is amazing at detecting them, because Malwarebytes is dedicated to Malware,

And not viruses and such as what Anti Viruses do, Norton has actually stepped up their Anti Malware detections recently, as my Virtual Machine tester of Malware has deemed it, pretty good.

P.S Malwarebytes should obviously not be put in place of any Anti Virus.

P.S.S, Malwarebytes Forum (A community I am also on) has their own set of malware hunters, that are NOT employed by Malwarebytes, and do it as volunteers and at their own will with Virtual Machines,

Which is why McAfee get it rough, because most people that use McAfee are family's and not people interested in submitting Malware samples,

Which would be nice if you could submit the files to McAfee themselves, so that they could be detected.

Thanks.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 52 of 115

McAfee have free tools (Stinger and GetSusp) that will, if the heuristic detection level is cranked up, detect many  of these things.   The trouble is if they cranked up the heuristic level in the regular product to that of Stinger at full strength or Malwarebytes there would be floods of complaints regarding false positives.  Malwarebytes by the same token doesn't do too well with the millions of viruses, trojans and worms already covered by McAfee VirusScan.

...from one of the lead developers of MalwareBytes (Bruce Harrison) :
As far as why MBAM is very good at dealing with this infection, that is simple.MBAM is designed to be very good at dealing with malware that the AVs seem tobe having problems with. I do not spend my time making MBAM detect millions ofinfections that any decent AV already detects as MBAM is DESIGNED to work alongside antivirus software, not replace it.  A huge chunk of the research that goes into MBAM revolves around what we see making it into HJT threads as the vast majority of these threads involve antivirus software that was in some way bypassed.
Lets settle this now and avoid any further misinformation. MBAM is now a very good backup to any antivirus software and will only get better in the future.MBAM will NEVER add antivirus abilities to its core app and is always advised to be used WITH antivirus software. We actually get this question a lot in the forums and I assure you that we always say :

"No,  MBAM can't replace your existing antivirus software and is not designed to."

If you wish to avail yourself of these tools join the GetSusp community here:  https://community.mcafee.com/groups/getsusp30-beta-feedback

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 28/02/11 6:37:29 EST PM
Highlighted

Hi

I got this virus today and was very shocked that Mcafee did not detect it ATALL.

After some four hours I managed to restore my system to a point earlier.

As a few of the posts state, you pay good money for what should be a supperior antivirus software package however it seems that Mcafee do not know how to respond to this virus, evidenced by non answers to the majority of posts.

This should be a no one priority for Mcafee developers to fix as users will indeed turn to other software products and lose faith in what is reported to be one of the BIG three.

Reliable Contributor
Message 54 of 115

Please read the entire thread for an explanation and for tools provided by McAfee free of charge to fight this.

Dallastx
Level 7
Message 55 of 115

I found the cure to the "system tool" virus....Go to safe mode on your computer.....go to system tools and sytem restore .....restore to a different point and it will remove the virus.

lgemmel
Level 7
Message 56 of 115

This is indeed a very disappointing performance on the part of McAfee.  So, the program is not a threat or a problem?  My McAfee Total Protection says that it scans for "Potentially unwanted programs".

System Tool 2011:

- installs itself without the user's knowledge or consent using a Java runtime exploit

- takes control of the computer on start up

- disables McAfee

- disables Task Manager

- disables Install/Uninstall Programs utility

If this is not a malicous threat and unwanted program I don't know what is!  Obviously other McAfee customers had the same experience and yet McAfee refuses to recognize this as a legitimate threat.

I had to go to third party software (Norton/Symantic) to find instructions to delete this extremely malicious program that completely disabled my computer.  I had to use regedit and manual searching in Safe Mode on Windows XP Pro to delete and remove the program.  Only after the fact did McAfee find the Java exploit which allowed the program to be installed without my permission or knowledge.  One thing I learned after spending two days fixing this is that you should remove all previous versions of JS2 or Java Runtime using the "Install/uninstall programs" utility from Control panel in Windows XP.

I had to go to this unofficial "Community" to get help from fellow customers to even identify the problem.  My McAfee Total Solution comes up for renewal in February and based on this very negative experience I will be cancelling my subscription and purchasing a Norton/Symantic product instead.

Hello,

New SecurityTool variants are known to be become active almost hourly, the are re-packed to avoid detection, Antivirus vendors are always going to be behind....there can be anywhere from 30,000 to 60,000 new malware/spyware/rootkit/virus variants everyday, no vendor can cope with that.

It is up to users to protect themselves by making sure that ALL third-party tools/programs are up to date. As one of the vectors of the rogue is via a Java.Exploit...it can also come via a PDF Exploit...or a media file Exploit...or via an infected banner ad, even on trustworthy sites.

Security starts at the keyboard...not with an antivirus.

meme
Level 7
Message 58 of 115

Dude, what are you smoking? 'security starts at the keyboard...not with an antivirus'...you had me rolling in the aisles!

Finding these problems and keeping on top of them is the very precise reason we (over) pay for subscriptions! Furthermore, if another FREE program, ie: Malwarebytes, is able to find this, how is it possible mcafee is unable to provide an update at least 3 weeks after this was first reported here? This is not some isolated occurance and variations of this have been around since the fall of 2010 if Google search returns are anything to go by.

-----------

My issue ditto with OP.

My chat with customer service was less than helpful - after laboring through all her accented questions (Indian call center I'm guessing), all she wanted me to do was pay $90 for a technical service rep to talk to me. I finally harassed her enough to get her put me on list for a supervisor to call me back to explain why I would pay more for a service I am supposed to have already. Not holding my breath on that one. Simply unacceptable.

Reliable Contributor
Message 59 of 115

Maybe I went a bit far saying it's not an infection, it is of course but this kind of infection fools most antivirus engines as it works rather deviously and yes it would be great if there was such a thing as a 100% infection-proof antivirus engine, but there is no such thing unfortunately.

Hence the need for these extra tools available on the web.

I've never relied on an antivirus application alone to protect me and always have several antispyware applications installed & kept up to date just in case.

Technical Support call centres are usually in India, some elsewhere, depending on where you are calling from and time of day and as far as virus removal is concerned they only can recommend what they are told to say, and that would be the paid route.

Here we can go a bit further, within reason of course.

Required Reading:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1294

Some extra tools: https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2168 

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 03/02/11 9:59:48 EST AM
spc3rd
Level 10
Message 60 of 115

In reviewing all the comments posted regarding this "System Tools" malware issue causing major problems even though the contributors here indicated they have McAfee up and running...I find it all VERY disconcerting, to say the least.  The McAfee security suite software currently on my home computer is provided by my ISP and recently, one morning, it appeared that the entire McAfee security software suite was completely replaced with what appears to be a newer version.  (The CURRENT on-screen display, interface, etc of this apparently newer McAfee security suite is completely different than the prior one).

Although, I have not experienced any of the "symptoms" of the "System Tools" malware infiltration which so many posters here have described, there is one question I do have.  I've frequently heard and read that one should never have more than one computer security software program running on their home computer at the same time, because they can cause problems.  Yet, one of the anti-malware programs I've seen referenced here as being of use in combatting/removing the "System Tools" problem from one's computer is the Malwarebytes software.  Is it actually safe to have both the McAfee Security Suite software and Malwarebytes on my computer at the same time?

Many thanks for any advice/information!

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/02/11 12:34:10 EST PM

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community