Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rheff165
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 71 of 115

"System Tool" virus got installed despite McAfee running

I was able to remove (I hope!) system tools from my computer by going into safe mode and doing a system restore to an earlier date.  The machine has been working fine until today, when it popped onto my screen again.  I removed it again the same way and contacted via online chat McAfee to ask why my current virus protection did not stop it.  I was asked to give them my phone number and was called shortly later by a salesman wanting to sell me "upgraded" protection.  I wanted technical answers, not a sales pitch.  I'm not happy with McAfee right now.

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 72 of 115

Did they say what this upgraded protection was?

toddc
Level 7
Message 73 of 115

Hi lgemmel, I totally feel your pain. Although, Norton's Symantec will not catch the FakeAlert-WinWebSec virus either. Switching from McAfee to Norton will not save you any grief, it will just make you sad to find your computer still pulls in trojans. McAfee's Stinger scanner finds the trogan, although it is unable to repair the files.

Quoted from toddc:

"Although, Norton's Symantec will not catch the FakeAlert-WinWebSec virus either."

I can only think you've posted in the wrong thread.

Norton does detect the problem, and has done for over three weeks.

"McAfee's Stinger scanner finds the trogan, although it is unable to repair the files."

No files are damaged from this infection, so again, I think you're accidentally talking about a completely different infection...?

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 75 of 115

Agreed Stinger does detem system tool and does clean it.

Norton may catch some variants of System Tools. However, it will not catch all of them:

http://virscan.org/report/a680ae08dadeefbe5e882e1d3959a45d.html

http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=b5868177e85130a770147f01d2450e8d0cf8901e7daefae8d...

No vendor will- there can be 10+ new variants of System Tool per hour, every vendor is playing catchup. With anywhere from 30,000 to 60,000 new malware sample released every day it is impossible for any vendor to detect this amount.

MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware generally do not target certain types of infections as your antivirus has first call on important components running on your system, such as TDL3/4 and those that write to your MBR. However, they may detected and remove certain other types of infections that may have been dropped by these infections.

Users  that are running Vista and Windows 7 SHOULD have their UAC( User Account Control) turned ON, this should stop you from becoming infected as these types malicious files generally need Administration  Privileges to run - having the UAC turned on should stop this from happening.

Highlighted
Fella1
Level 7
Message 77 of 115

Re: "System Tool" virus got installed despite McAfee running

So, same machine, McAfee on and up to date, infected by System Tool once again.  Just removed it before Christmas.  It also disables real-time scanning on McAfee.  It does not seem to be on the drive the same as before so I am still looking for the infection.  Malware Bytes scanning right now in safe mode.  We will see if it can find it.  This virus bites and McAfee does not even seem to notice.  This machine has been scanned inside out and everything updated in the last week and yet it has been infected again today.  Ideas?

Fella1
Level 7
Message 78 of 115

MB did not find the infection even with the updated definitions.  I found it manually and deleted it.  I do not know where it is coming from.

rbjwlr
Level 7
Message 79 of 115

restart your computer ... during restart, press f8 ... pick safe mode to restart ... before it completely restarts, it asks you if you want to restore ...simply restore to before system tool virus was on your computer ... worked with xp

clh
Level 7
Message 80 of 115

This virus hit me Dec 26 and I removed it myself (see my post #7,                                 Dec 26, 2010 2:20 PM). Today I ran a full scan and McAfee found and removed it. Looking around the McAfee Security Center, I found the "Quarantined and Trusted Items" window and, under Quarantined Potentially Unwanted Programs," I found a number of files that had the Dec 26 date. This tells me that the real-time scanning saw something fishy but McAfee was unable to properly detect the virus until the DAT file was updated and a full scan performed.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community