Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
muuppal
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 115

"System Tool" virus got installed despite McAfee running

hi, First of all how to remove "system Tool" virus from my computer. It has taken over my computer despite McAfee running.

Second, how come McAfee did not detect it before it got installed?

Please help.

114 Replies

Re: "System Tool" virus got installed despite McAfee running

Same here.  Send an email to customer support (was unable to use "chat").  Let us know if you find out anything useful and I'll do the same.

Fella1
Level 7
Message 3 of 115

Same here, System Tool virus has made the machine unusable.  McAfee  Antivirus Plus was installed and up-to-date.  Anyone know how to get rid  of this?  The only way I have found to do anything on the computer is  in Safe Mode.

I finally fixed this by installing Malwarebytes' Anti-malware - which turned into something of a chore because my computer initially wouldn't let me download it.  I don't remember how I eventually did it, but I do recall that I found out how to do so by doing a "system tool" search in this community and this led me to a link that had been disguised so as to fool the system tools program and allow me to download it.

One may be able to go into safe mode and dowload the Anti-malware software, but I'm not sure.  It's not how I finally was able to do it.  Good luck.

System tool took over my desk top computer when I logged on on Christmas day.  What a present!   Took me three hours to clear it out.  I just used the program offered for free by Malwarebytes.  The steps are shown on their website http://http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=66064.   Fortunately, I had a clean laptop which I used to access the website and download the repair program to a memory stick.  I transferred the repair program icon from the memory stick to the 'desk top' screen of infected computer by click and drag.  My infected computer would not let me run the program until I turned on the safe mode, which I did by turning off the infected computer, then holding down the f8 button while it rebooted.  After that, it was easy.  Hope this info helps somebody out.  This virus is really debilitating.

Tom

Can
Level 7
Message 6 of 115

Thank you for taking the time to post the information to remove System Tool.  It finally worked!!!!  I should hire you instead of McAfee!   Can't believe these guys.  They sell you and Total Protection Software 9my second virus in a month) and then when it fails all they can do is offer to charge you another $80 to remove the virus.  They won't even take the information to add the virus to their systems so others don't get it and they can update their database.  What a scam!  If I hit a building with my car i am not going to ask the owner to pay for my damages!  They have made me waster 8 hours of my time for time and to how many other countless individuals.  Really disgusting service.   No wonder they move across the world with that kind of gimmick!   Good luck to all who got caught in this mess and thanks again to those who posted solution and did what McAFee shouhd have but didn't do!

plumeria
Level 7
Message 7 of 115

This solution worked for me and it was free.  I was frantically looking on McAfee's web site for help but accidentally stumbled on to this discussion.  Lucky for me because McAfee's website was no help unless I wanted to pay an additional fee to have them remove it.

monchand
Level 7
Message 8 of 115

I wanted to tell you thank your for your post! followed your instructions and it cleaned my system.  THANK YOU AGAIN!!!

babbab
Level 7
Message 9 of 115

This is probably just luck?, but I loaded the downloaded the file to my desktop, change the name and went into Safemode to finish the rest of the process, but got locked out of the computer because I dont have a Safemode password, after rebooting several times trying to logon in Safemode, magically the malware was gone.  Maybe just the presence of the file on the desktop was enough?  Thanks for your help.

I wouldn't have too much faith in the fact that its disappeared until you see the trojans listed in the quarantine file of the anti-malware program. The 'System Tool' did the same on our laptop - seemingly vanished for a week or so. Download the program from Malwarebytes and run the quick scan, it will find them. I can't confirm the other comments from others as my version of McAfee is fully updated and didn't find it and I couldn't run WIndows defender at the time because that was infected.