Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 21 of 33

Re: XP Repair Tool virus

Jump to solution

Re usb the bleeping computer link suggests using a usb stick so should be ok. Did the malware hide your files as it said?

Really looking though google search of the malware it seems that you need to install and run hijack this and post a question on one of the sites HERE. Do not post it here as they are the experts . I feel you have a few bits left over they can confirm.

Jump to solution

I originally copied everything over to the USB stick while I was still having problems and the files and folders were hidden. Since running MWB on the stick the files show properly although the actual folders are still faint (hidden). Have just put the stick in my own laptop and it's showing the same way - hidden folders, visible files. I didn't open anything but hope that wasn't a foolish thing to do.

My partner has run off with the laptop today so I can't do anything with Hijack This till tonight. However, if a complete reformat of the hard drive would sort this out once and for all, I'm really happy (!?) to do this - I just want the pesky thing gone.

Really appreciate your help and support. So reassuring.

Reliable Contributor
Message 23 of 33

Jump to solution

The bleeping computer site has a unhide file plus if you search here there are several posts saying how to do it as well. IE the usb stick needs the folders unhidden as well. By showing same way I assume only on the stick not the whole other PC

nchattop
Level 12
Message 24 of 33

Jump to solution

Hi Bagheera,

Thank you for contacting us.

We request you to please send us the file in password-protected zip format (pasword= infected) to virus_research@avertlabs.com, we would like to analyse it and provide you further assistance.

Please visit below link to install stinger tool and scan

http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/stinger.aspx

Regards

Neha Chattopadhyay

McAfee SME

Reliable Contributor
Message 25 of 33

Jump to solution

Neha just to add I had bagherra run fake alert stinger as a first point of call. It did not pick the virus up and so I passed this onto Sam from your labs. Isn't the stinger link you have the non fake alert 1 or an older version?

That said bagherra Stinger is updated daily (weekdays) and the new version has some new features Use my link above 2nd post here

• Option to run “Smart Scan” mode which only scans files, directories & registry load points commonly used by malware. This enables a system scan to complete in around five minutes.
  • Introduction of a “Fix to Scan” option to bring back the system to a state where users will be able to run other applications or antivirus software that was disabled by Fake Alert Malware.
    nchattop
    Level 12
    Message 26 of 33

Jump to solution

Please provide us the sample for analysis and adding detection

Thanks

Neha C

McAfee SME

Jump to solution

Thanks for your suggestions.

I ran Stinger and it came up clean. The computer seems to have been behaving today so ... fingers crossed it's now clean.

I ran unhide.exe from Bleeping Computer but it only seems to work on the C:\ drive so I can't unhide the folders on the USB stick. Is there another program that will do this?

Highlighted
    Reliable Contributor
    Message 28 of 33

Jump to solution

One way is to run attrib on the entire drive. It will skip system files.

open CMD

d: or whatever is the usb drive

cd\

attrib -H *.* /S /D

or right click properties deselect hidden option on each folder

Jump to solution

Well, it's been a few days and, fingers crossed, all seems fine now. Folders are now visible and everything seems to be behaving itself. I cannot thank you all enough for your patience and help with getting things sorted, especially Tony. I really appreciate the time you have spent on this problem - big gold stars and the hugest thanks to you all.

Reliable Contributor
    Message 30 of 33

Jump to solution

Glad to help got fingers crossed for you

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community