Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 33

Re: XP Repair Tool virus

Jump to solution

If you have still got them in listing or if they are shown in quarantine can you retake the pic with the full path shown in the pic please

Jump to solution

snapshot2.jpg

Is this better?

Reliable Contributor
Message 13 of 33

Jump to solution

Thanks so all ok now?

Jump to solution

More or less though had a few problems with Google. I'm contemplating a complete clean reinstall of the machine from the ground up - at least I should have more confidence in it.

Did the screen snapshot tell you anything useful?

Reliable Contributor
Message 15 of 33

Jump to solution

The quarantine 1 was less files so if any1 reading this does it themselves ie run stinger and then MWB, mcafee needs the whole path to the files stinger missed. Stinger is being developed heavily to detect this type of issue so that when it does the detection can be moved into Virusscan at least that is my thought.

These AVs or rather fake AV etc are changed regularly so it is hard to detect them without setting detection so high that you may get fasle +ves. Mcafee has acknowledged there is an issue and taken steps to address user's concerns.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 11/07/11 7:02:32 AM

Jump to solution

Sad to say, started having odd problems again today. Computer kept saying that my McAfee subscription was about to expire but I know it's got another six months. Ran MWB again and it ran for about 1 1/2 hours, showed one error but then crashed before completing the scan so I don't know what it was. Back to the drawing board. Any further thoughts on how to rid myself of this virus? If a complete reinstall will do the trick, I'm up for it.

Reliable Contributor
Message 17 of 33

Jump to solution

Run Getsusp  The actual download is available HERE. Add your email to its preferences so Mcafee can send you new datsif it finds something new.

Then you can try another optional program www.superantispyware.com

Jump to solution

Thanks, will try. I'm just worried I won't actually know when the virus has been removed. Yesterday I thought it had gone, now I know it hasn't. I'd raise a white flag if I thought it would help!

Reliable Contributor
Message 19 of 33

Jump to solution

It is possible that it has installed a rootkit that is hard to detach. Best if this a worry to see if I can get someone better at malware than me. I will ask at our mod call tomorrow if you still have an issue.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thanks for your help - I really appreciate it. I left MWB to run again and, this time, it completed the task and found nothing so I really don't know if it's gone or not. I ran Getsusp which came up clear although it did warn me at the outset that it was 'outdated'. Haven't run superantispyware yet though - pnly so many hours in a weekend.

Does this virus propagate via my personal data files? I have backed up all the files to a USB stick but, having cleared the infection from the laptop, is it safe to put the stick back into the laptop? I also usually back up these files to my own laptop and thence to an external hard disk - is this safe?