cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP Repair Tool virus

Jump to solution

My partner's laptop has been infected with this virus and it's causing no end of grief. I think it's called FakeAlert!grb.

Firstly, how come McAfee didn't pick this up? And even though it's evident I've still got it on the laptop, how comes scans come up clean? Not impressed as I see from other posts on the Internet that it's been around for some months.

After some effort, I have transferred the data to a USB stick. However, how will I know if this is clean in order to be able to transfer the data to another PC if McAfee doesn't detect this virus?

Does anyone know what antivirus software will pick this up?

Finally, how do I get rid of it? McAfee doesn't get rid of it, I've tried other suggested routes from various community pages and it's still there. If I do a complete reinstall of the computer back to its factory settings, will this get rid of it? And then will it be safe to transfer the data from my USB stick back to the laptop or has it been infected for good?

Message was edited by: SamSwift - moving to Top Threats and adding category. on 11/07/11 18:55:51 IST
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 28 of 33

Re: XP Repair Tool virus

Jump to solution

One way is to run attrib on the entire drive. It will skip system files.

open CMD

d: or whatever is the usb drive

cd\

attrib -H *.* /S /D

or right click properties deselect hidden option on each folder

32 Replies
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 33

Jump to solution

This tool detects and removes "FakeAlert" malware variants - please post in the forums if it misses anything..It is updated daily and you will need to redownlod it if you want to run it on another day as well.

Terms of Use and download: http://www.mcafee.com/apps/free-tools/termsofuse.aspx?url=/us/downloads/free-too ls/fake-alert-sting...

Some infections are difficult for antivirus software to remove because of the way they work or because they are constantly mutating and that is where certain anti-malware tools come in handy.  By the same token, these tools aren't that good at protecting you from the millions of infections that your antivirus application already keeps out.  It is by no means a bad reflection on any antivirus application that one finds oneself resorting to using these tools.  They are meant to supplement your protection.   But keep them updated!

After running it try below ignore ad at top

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-windows-xp-repair

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply.

We ran the tool your mentioned (fake alert stinger) and it didn't remove the virus. Is it still worth trying the repair tool on bleepingcomputer.com?

In answer to my other questions about the safety of using the USB stick in other PCs - will my individual data files be affected or does the virus affect system files?

Also, if I were to reinstall everything from scratch, would this solve the problem? If it would, I'm beginning to think that would be the quickest solution.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 33

Jump to solution

Tony (Peacekeeper) being in Australia is asleep right now but I spotted this and yes, run that tool from BleepingComputer.   Ignore the ads at tthe top of the page.

Moved this to Malware Discussions > Home User Assistance as a more appropriate spot.

It shouldn't delete any personal files assuming they aren't infected.

Jump to solution

How can I tell if my data files are infected if McAfee can't pick this virus up? I could go ahead and reinstall everything on my computer, copy back the data files and still have the same problem. I'd also like to transfer the files to another off site back up that I have but I don't want to infect that as well.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 33

Jump to solution

You wont know until you do whatever that link tells you to do.  Try it first.

Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 33

Jump to solution

When you run MWB can you take a pic of what it finds before you delete them?

Jump to solution

Have been working on this solidly for more than six hours - it's a slow process. It's telling me it's found a couple of infected objects so far. Presumably you'd like me to post the screen snapshot here?

Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 33

Jump to solution

Yes please when it is finished MWB will take a while if you have large drives

Highlighted

Jump to solution

screen snapshot.jpg

Here it is.