cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP Antispyware 2012 virus?

Hello,

I recently installed McAfee on my desktop (windows XP) - because I was impressed with the protection I experienced on my laptop (windows vista) over the past two years.

Today I got a virus (through email) I belive it might be called:  XP antispyware 2012.  It has lots of popups and has blocked my internet explorer.

I have run McAfee quick scan twice - the first time it detected the virus and was not able to remove it, and suggested that I reboot and run the scan again, which I did.  The virus is still on my desktop.

Can someone please help me with a way to remove this virus?

Thank you,

Phyllis Straub

14 Replies
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 15

Re: XP Antispyware 2012 virus?

Moved to Malware Discussion > Top Threats for better attention.

See THIS thread which may help.

Thanks for all of the info.

However I cannot install the 'Stinger'or Antimalwarebytes - or do anything else on my computer for that matter. It has been totally hijacked.

I'm just steamed because I just installed McAfee less than a week ago (I switched from Norton) and now my computer is useless.

- Phyllis

SamSwift
Level 12
Message 4 of 15

Can you rename stinger.exe to stinger.com and then run it with 'fix to scan' enabled please?

Thanks,

Sam

nownitin
Level 12
Message 5 of 15

Hello,

could you please try to reboot your machien in safe mode and execute fakealert stinger.

information and download at < http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/fake-alert-stinger.aspx >

hope this will help.

Best Regards,

Nitin

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 15

phyllis1957 wrote:

Thanks for all of the info.

However I cannot install the 'Stinger'or Antimalwarebytes - or do anything else on my computer for that matter. It has been totally hijacked.

I'm just steamed because I just installed McAfee less than a week ago (I switched from Norton) and now my computer is useless.

- Phyllis

Norton and all the others have a bad time detecting these fake antimalware pests so rest assured it wouldn't have been any use either.

When regular mode fails there is always 'Safe Mode with Networking', reached by tapping F8 repeatedly while booting up and it's #2 on the ensuing menu.

It usually works fine because it gives you the internet access whilst in Safe Mode where malware can't easily interfere.

Hi,

I did boot in safe mode but the little bugger is still active there and I can't run the stinger or install the malwarebytes.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for your time,

Phyllis

Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Safe Mode with Networking?   Try the 'Save as" route to save whatever you are trying to download to your desktop, and rename it in the process to something meaningless such as 1234.exe or similar.

nownitin
Level 12
Message 9 of 15

if above does not work, please check if

Can you open command prompt? if yes, scan can be triggred from there.

or if you have some other system, connect and scan from there by creating a map netowrk drive.

Regards,

Nitin

Hi Nitin,

What are the risks of infecting my other system if I connect to my infected desktop with it?

Could I simply connect my non infected laptop using usb cable, then tell malwarebites or stinger to scan the desktop?

- Phyllis

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community