cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Win 7 Antispyware 2012

Can this virus reside on a USB drive or was it downloaded/installed via a web site?  This is a brand new laptop from Dell with a 3 year subscription to the McAfee and within a week, it has this nasty virus???  Most of my software that I needed to install on the new computer is stored on a an external hard drive so that is is easier to install which is why I ask about the usb drive.  I''m not the only one using this computer but I'm not aware of any questionable sites that have been visited (no kids/teenabers in the house).  If this came from a questionable web site, what kind of sites could this come from so that I can ask the others?

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 32 of 39

It could I suppose but unlikely unless you are storing a lot of URL's on there.  The trouble with these malware makers is that they hide them in places nobody suspects and it just takes one click and off they go.  It's not helped by all the advertising that one encounters at every turn on the Internet these days.  It becomes a chore just NOT to click on something by accident.

Highlighted

vicm1010 had a good idea about registering the product using that code.  That did give me much needed control over the system. 

I'm still battling this virus.  Everytime I run malbytes, I keep getting a notice about svchost.exe containing a trojan.agent with the option to Disable Protection, Igrnore, and Quarentine.  Quarentine doesn't work for this file and I don't dare disable protection so I guess that leaves the only option of ignoring.  Should I tell malware to ignore that file since it is a legit file?

I'm running SpyBot right now but it is only 1/3 rd the way complete.

Reliable Contributor
Message 34 of 39

Malwarebytes can be installed, updated and run in Safe Mode with Networking, which may be possible in this case.   Tap F8 repeatedly to get to that menu and it's #2 on the menu.

kuttus
Level 9
Message 35 of 39

There may be one more infection assosiated with it. . To check it's presence you have to do one thing.

In Windows XP

----------------------

Click on the start meanu and press on Run.

Inside the Run window type CMD and press on Okay.

In the black Command Window type

NETSH WINSOCK RESET and hit on enter.

If you get a message

"Sucessfully reset the Winsock Catalog.

You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset." then you are safe.

If not your computer is infected.

Steps - 1

Try the above steps.

Steps-2

Ping.exe is a infection. To fix this run a SIGVERIF on the compuiter. For that Click on Start Menue -> Click on Run -> Type SIGVERIF and press on Ok.

Follow the instructions.

It will detect one infected *.sys  file. You have to replace that file from the recovery console.

The other solution to fix it is a Fresh Installation.

In Windows Vista and Windows 7

--------------------------------------…

Click on the Start Menu and in the Search box type CMD

At the top you can see a CMD file. Just right click on that file and select Run as

Administrator.

In the black Command Window type

NETSH WINSOCK RESET and hit on enter.

If you get a message

"Sucessfully reset the Winsock Catalog.

You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset." then you are safe.

If not your computer is infected. In windows Vista and Windows 7 a successful system restore

will fix the issue. Try a system restore to a good point.

After a successful system restore try to do the same step again.

If you got the message "Sucessfully reset the Winsock Catalog.

You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset." your computer is safe and secure.

Today is January 12.  I bought my daughter a nice computer for Christmas.  Latest technology.  First thing i do is load McAfee Total Protection. 

Today she calls me at work because WIN 7 Antivirus has her machine completely incapacitated.  Fortunately I have other machines available and could do some research about it. 

I was a little disappointed in McAfee that this malware/virus/whatever it is got through.  I'm not sure if it was in this discussion forum that I read about using the System Restore Feature.  Of course, I rebooted in Safe Mode (F8 on startup) to do this.  Interestingly, the first thing which pops us after System was restored was a request to update Adobe Flash.  Which I promptly said "no" to. 

I have since also run stinger - may be redundant.

I have also run Malware Bytes.

Ran full scan with both McAfee and Malware Bytes - neither has found anythings.  We'll see how this holds up. 

Reliable Contributor
Message 37 of 39

I'm sure this has been said already somewhere in this thread.  None of the major antivirus applications are 100% guaranteed, especially against these fake anti-malware entities which work in a way that thwarts them, hence the need for special tools.   They rely on action by the user, no matter how insignificant, to get them started. 

When you do a System Restore the system is taken back to an earlier time and it is essential, for security reasons, to update anything that needs it, especially Flash, McAfee and Windows itself.  Such things as Adobe Reader too and many more.

Update Flash here:  http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ Shockwave here: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/ Adobe Reader here: http://get.adobe.com/reader/ and be careful to uncheck the option to install McAfee Security Scan Plus.  Also check that Java is up to date: http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp?detect=jre&try=1

Those in particular need to be constantly updated and their automatic update feature allowed to do so as they have been exploited by malware on many occasions and are patched frequently.    Also keep Windows totally up to date, including any parts that are not used, such as Internet Explorer if another browser is set as default because some processes may use it (McAfee for one).

There's a page I've made up with a few free tools that may be handy in the constant fight against malware:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2168

So refusing a Flash update is not a good idea, sorry.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 13/01/12 6:32:56 EST AM

i agree with you McAfee is not capable of handling a threat like Win 7 anitspyware.  And again why should I pay $89 for McAfee to remove something when their McAfee program can not do it, my money will be spent on something that works for a change for less money, I would advice anyone with this problem to roll back ther computer to an earlery date and remove McAfee and save your self hours of trouble.

Reliable Contributor
Message 39 of 39

Nobody suggested you pay for virus removal although all antivirus makers offer that service it isn't mandatory.   Some people like to use that service because it saves them the trouble of having to research the problem and finding their own solution.   No antivirus software will stop these fake anti-malware applications because of the way they work however, there are always free ways of getting rid of these things.

So if you move to a different antivirus product of course that's your prerogative, but you are in for a surprise if you think it's going to be a magic bullet.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit - spellcheck on 21/01/12 10:51:52 EST AM

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community