Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shevaun
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 14

Security shield virus??

i am trying to downloac my mcafee product and i keep getting a security shield warning that keeps saying that its a virus and wont allow me to download. please help, i was on hold with tech support for two hours and no one took my call, finally got fed up and hung up. also tried doing live chat but this dumb security shield wont let me acces that either.

13 Replies
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 14

Re: Security shield virus??

Can you take a pic of the message please.

Do you mean My security screen a scareware software?

If so

There is an excellent guide to Remove My Security Shield (Uninstall Guide) found at BleepingComputer.com.

Please read the instructions (print it off if helpful) and ask any questions here for any help if you are unsure about what to do, before attempting this.

Follow the instructions carefully, and let us know if we can help further.

shevaun
Level 7
Message 3 of 14

how would i take a pic- i tried doing print screen and it doesnt work. this virus wont let me download any of the support systems, mvt or chat. i honestly dont want to remove anything on my computer without a prof. walking me through it.. strange... it doesnt diasllow me from downloading the chat option at microsoft help

Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 14

Prtscn (printscreen button) and paste it into paint program in windows accessories. Cut out the message and paste again into a new file and save it . Attach it here.

If it is the My security shield follow what is suggested above also run the fake alert stinger here

Fake Alert Stinger

This tool detects and removes "FakeAlert" malware variants - please post in the forums if it misses anything.  It also must be freshly downloaded each time as it is updated on the website every weekday.

There is a special section of the forum devoted to this tool:  https://community.mcafee.com/community/security/top_threats

Terms of Use: http://www.mcafee.com/apps/free-tools/termsofuse.aspx?url=/us/downloads/free-too ls/fake-alert-sting...

McAfee Free Tools webpage:  http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/index.aspx

moomin
Level 7
Message 5 of 14

SecurityShield - Malware

I wish to report a virus attack that although it is included in McAffe  know virus it managed to infect my laptop,corrupting the Mafee software, including the stinger application,  Disabled my virus protection, virus scanningand prevented Stinger from running. I was only able to remove from my PC usingSpyhunter. When infected you are not able to access the McAfee web site. LucklyI had a friend who had seen it before and using information obtained on the webvia their computer was able to resolve the problem.

Itis Security Shield and came in on the back of a free application calledDVDFlick. I downloaded DVDflick from a site cleared as OK by McAfee. No warningwas given etc. I have been a customer for over 10 years and not happy. Clearlysomething is wrong if a known virus can slip in.  I had scanning my PC two day prior to this. Iremoved the application DVDFlick then was able to remove the virus usingSpyhunter. It also screwed up my registry and deleted my System restore points.

Nightmare to remove

newjack
Level 12
Message 6 of 14

Here is a guide for removal of security shield.http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-my-security-shield

Go to www.Malwarebytes.org & download free version.

Just noticed It was posted  by Peacekeeper.Mcafee does not do well with these types of malware.As a reccomendation I would always leave at least 1 Antispyware such as Malwarebytes.Which is a great free program & second opinion.That works well with Mcafee. Malwarebytes free.

Message was edited by: newjack on 2/20/12 10:52:04 AM EST

Ok, you might not have to reinstall windows. You could perform a system restore. What a system restore does it that it changes .exe files. Since you were meddling around with the .exe file, this would be a great way for you to revert the settings.

Reliable Contributor Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Moved this from Home User Assistance to Top Threats.

If this is disabling McAfee and Stinger it may be a recent and updated version since the BleepingComputer guide to removal does not specifically mention that it does. Their guide may need updating to take account of that.

Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Also run getsusp it may detect the new files installed and enable Mcafee to improve their dats. Add your email addy to the preferences. PS flagging this for a lab tech to read

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 29/02/12 3:02:21 PM
cf83
Level 7
Message 10 of 14

Restoring my computer to a point before I got the virus worked for me.