Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ConorD62
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 31 of 40

Re: Security Tool 2011 Virus - Beware!!

Most notorious way of getting System/Security Tool 2011 is by clicking on a link called "OMG this teenage girl killed herself over what her dad wrote" Or any links like that.

That or getting it through "My Year in Status." Which is how I contracted it. I don't understand why it was able to install, because I never actually CLICKED on anything, other than the link to the application. (Well, that and tried to close the popup window that was mimicking Windows Security.) The rest slammed in. So it's either hooked into the app, or running as a script on the ad page, with clicking the close button giving the system the go-ahead to install.

Security Tool 2011 Virus - Beware!!

I also received this today, It stopped me doing anything at all. I rebooted in safe mode and restored to a week ago then rebooted. This DID NOT get rid of the malware, everything looked ok and the pop up's stopped but Mcafee scans were still not running properly although I was able to get on the net. I downloaded a free version of Ad-Adware that I used years ago, I was able to install and run scan (it takes ages 2hrs 40 for me) but it got rid of the malware, I had to reboot but ST2011 was gone.

I received this by way of a Paypal email (looked very real) needless to say I have now downloaded iconix email identification to stop this happening in future. I de-fragged after all this and it took ages but looks like its all sorted.

newjack
Level 12
Message 34 of 40

Just curious did that paypal E-mail have your name in it?I have reseved 1 today but did`nt open.

xavfig
Level 7
Message 35 of 40

I was infected with the virus yesterday and it took over windows, it disabled McAfee and it would not let me open any virus removal program (Malwarebytes  or hijackthis).

To remove restart computer in safe mode with networking and download malwarebytes at http://www.malwarebytes.org update virus definitions and run program. It will clean the virus from windows, windows registry and restore point.

McAfee did not remove the virus nor prevent it from attacking in the first place.

I'm the 'computer guy' that all friends and relatives call when they have an issue. I get more VIRUS calls than all others combined and the common denominator is McAfee Anti Virus. My mom called with this 'Win 7 Home Security 2011' virus this morning. She just renewed her McAfee subscription a month ago and her definitions are up to date but this virus made it through.

So McAfee, what's the point of your software if all it does is cost money and says everything is OK but catches nothing?

I also had this problem but twice in 2 days on my daughters laptop. First time the program was called System Protection, second time it was Windows 7 Anti-virus. Second one was worse. Malwarebytes cleared the first one when I downloaded and ran it in Safe Mode. The second one hit and it also ran in Safe Mode. I could not use System Restore, acces sthe internet or almost anything, could not run Malwarebytes. On one occasion I did manage to access the internet and went to the Malwarebytes website and immediately got a warning message from the rogue program about the site was dangerous and it shut IE8 down. Yes of course it was dangerous, to the rogue program! I could see the thing in Task Manager, 4 files marked xbm.exe, but every time I ended the process it switched back on immediately I tried to run malwarebytes. I kept getting a McAfee popup saying McAfee was turned off. I clicked on the Turn On button and it instantly turned off again. I eventually got rid of the thing, by luck not skill, with a combination of the CMD line and Safe Mode. Three scans with Malwarebytes since then have reported a clean computer though I am very reluctant to go back online with it. In fact, I have not connected to the internet since and I will get a professional IT guy to check the laptop out before I do. Might even restore the laptop to factory default with a full reinstall to be safe.

Considering this has been reported as a problem since December 2010 on this forum alone, I think it is disgraceful that McAfee has not addressed this and sorted out an answer. Does not make me want to renew my subscription.

Just to add, when I first downloaded and ran Malwarebytes, it was the free version that only cleans things after they have hit. I think it is a great program and I have now paid for the full version so that it actively scans my computer and protects me before the malware strikes. I wanted to clear that up in case anyone thought that Malwarebytes had failed in its job. It hadn't.

Message was edited by: adamreith on 04/04/11 16:25:49 CDT

wow. first of all facebook is not a trusted site. its in the top ten most virus infected sites on the internet. second. mcafee sucks. i only joined to warn all of you i had the paid version mooching from my friends liscense for the 3rd pc and when the subscription was up he had to wait for a couple weeks for his next paycheck. in the meantime i downloaded AVG free and it found 8 viruses that mcaffee said i didnt have. woohoo mcafee. it is currently the worst antivirus. even worse than norton. try bitdefender, eset, or kaspersky.

Message was edited by: negativzeroe on 4/11/11 9:08:35 AM CDT

also get firefox with adblocker and its popup addon and noscript. because that is how they commonly get on your computer is a script upon entering a page or an ad or a popup.

also i just noticed that they censor my "mcafee. sux". lol

on 4/11/11 9:09:24 AM CDT
SamSwift
Level 12
Message 40 of 40

Hi everyone,

I am going to close and lock this thread now. If you are visiting this site and have a new infection of 'Security Tool 2011' please start by using our FakeAlert Stinger. If that doesn't resolve the issue please start a new thread in our Top Threats space and we'll do all we can to help.

Kind regards,

Sam