Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newjack
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 21 of 40

Re: Security Tool 2011 Virus - Beware!!

You can use Malwarebytes with mcafee.You should restart your computer tap f8.then select safe mode with networking.After that go to this link and download malwarebytes.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php after it`s downloaded update and run.Delete any bad files and reboot.If there is a problem running you may have to go to bleeping computer and run Rkill 1st                                                                                                            Good luck

you can find full removal  instructions in post 16

Message was edited by: newjack on 2/7/11 11:45:05 AM EST

Message was edited by: newjack on 2/7/11 11:46:03 AM EST
Reliable Contributor Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Message 22 of 40

McAfee takes an over-tolerant approach to scareware programs. Malwarebytes does not, and is constantly updating its database to cover new variants. Malwarebytes is free, if you only want the on-demand scanner; and that's the one the mods recommend. It will clean up the stuff McAfee chooses to ignore, and it won't conflict with McAfee. You're quite safe running it, it's a good program, and it does its stuff.

As for why McAfee chooses to ignore so many of these rogue programs, I suspect it's because they fall into the class of "potentially unwanted" programs. That's being too lenient, in my view, and I speak as someone who got hit yesterday just by clicking on a link from a Google search. The popups and warning windows came flooding in so fast that the scareware program had already appeared before I recovered and started hitting Alt+F4 to get rid of all the crud. A good thing I've had lots of training here on the forums. I can see how some people are likely to panic and start clicking wildly on whatever appears - which would only make matters worse - and then get mad with McAfee.

Alt+F4 is your friend if it happens : "kill whatever's on top", and keep going until your browser's closed and you reach Windows shutdown. Then boot into Safe Mode and run all the scans available to you. I escaped without any after-effects, unlike some.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 07/02/11 17:07:31 GMT
newjack
Level 12
Message 23 of 40

There is also a great free program out there called sandboxie.This little free program is 100% effective if used properly.There is also an incredible video on how this program works on youtube called sandboxie review by mrizos.This program should be integrated in sucurity software.Never get infected again!

http://www.sandboxie.com/  I should add though it is 100% on 32bit systems.But also very good on 64bit.Read about it.

Message was edited by: newjack on 2/7/11 2:12:37 PM EST

I got this xp security 2011 & it wouldn't let me do anything, so i downloaded malwarebytes onto a USB stick  started the infected one up in safe mode, installed & ran malwarebytes. Hey presto no more xp security 2011. BUT I had ro download & run a file association fix in order for Winxp to return to normal. the file association fix can be found here  

http://www.dougknox,com    go to the WINXP fixes section & look for the File Association  Fix entry

It worked for me after trying to get spybot & spyware doctor to remove it & failing miserably

I would give malwarebytes full marks for a great product plus you don't even need to buy the full version in order to get it to work

mikelh
Level 7
Message 25 of 40

Hi

Since several hours I had the same problem in one of my computers, I tried to follow the suggetions given since I could not anymore work with my browsers because of the infectionand the taking over of what ever it is ( virus worm etc) so I did the same with the USB stick connected it to the computer in safe mode but could not install the malwarebytes on the infected computer, it seems to be infected strongly....

what else can I do in order to save my computer ???

Thanks

mikel

Hello -

Follow the instructions in this removal guide in link below, you may need to run rkill first before Malwarebytes will run. rkill will try to kill the malware process that are stopping Malwarebytes from running. Read the whole page first and DO NOT click on the first thing you see.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-system-tool

xavfig
Level 7
Message 27 of 40

Mikelh,

If the virus is not letting you install malwarebytes you need to srop the process of the virus first by removing the following files, start computer in safe mode with networking.

Go to windows explorer ans click on tools, folder options, then click on the view tab, go down to the hidden files and folders seccion and check SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS and uncheck HIDE PROTECTED SYSTEM FILES, then click APPLY and OK.

Now remove the files listed bellow by going to the main hard drive.

Click on the + sign next to my computer my computer, then click on the + sign next to local C drive, then locate the files on documents and settings and delete them, do not restart computer (This action would restore the files from the registry).

The files to be deleted are listed below:

• %Documents and Settings%\[User Name]\Local Settings\Application Data\[random].exe
  • %Documents and Settings%\[All Users]\[random]
  • %Documents and Settings%\[All Users]\Application Data\[random]
  • %Documents and Settings%\[User Name]\Templates\[random]
  • %Temp%\[random]

Once these files are removed install MALWAREBYTES, do an update first and then  run the program, this link explains what files are removed from your computer. Link removed by Moderator. Stick to known sites such as BleepingComputer when posting links with advise on how to remove malware.

Once computer is free of the virus go back and change the SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS and HIDE PROTECTED SYSTEM FILES

Best of luck to you!

xavfig

Message was edited by: xavfig on 4/5/11 7:23:49 PM CDT

Message was edited by: xavfig on 4/5/11 7:25:14 PM CDT

on 06/04/11 11:52:36 IST
mikelh
Level 7
Message 28 of 40

Hi

Thank you for the answers

I acted acording to the process both had suggeted and all the pop up screens etc did not apear except from time to time Mcafee report that the computer is in danger and sugest to operate the online scanning but when it is done it hold only for 1-2 sec and then return to the allert.

beside of that i could not activate any exe files that mean that for example regedit etc does not work and i am asked with what programto activate the exe file. secondly all the icons of the exe programs on the dektop and elsware changed from there original statuss  to the icon of the unidentified type of file and as explained before  nothing works

i deleated all the files as sugeted in the instructions and ran  the super antiapyware program which is a com file and that eventually had detected  2 registery keys that can be a problem

HKCR \.exe

HKCR\exefile\shell\open\command

I really do not know what to do...the situation seem to be ditiriorating since all kind of programs and procidures I had on the computer and or downloaded from the net in order to help eliminate the problem does not work ....

how can I solve this circle of proble,s totally

Thank you for your inputs

Mikel

SCM
Level 7
Message 29 of 40

Got this Christmas Day on my Toshiba laptop running Window 7

The advice at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-system-tool was great.

As I had no problem with my browser I started at Step 8 with Rkill, then Malwarebytes, then replacing HOSTS.

To replace the corrupted HOSTS file I had to use Notepad (All programss/accessories/notepad)  Right click on it and use the "run as administrator" option so it will let you paste in the new HOSTS file.

Finally, please report this virus, so that they catch the jerks.

Cheers,

c2442l
Level 7
Message 30 of 40

There is an awesome YouTube video on exactly how to do this.  If you have Windows vista, some of the locations of files is a bit different, but as long as you can find the Program files, this still works with Vista.  Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15mlFl22FHs